Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost.exe application error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gr8fandini

gr8fandini

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Keep getting this on start up. All this started after installing windows xp service pack 3. For a while there were A LOT of them but now I'm only getting one or two at start up.
As follows:

"svchost.exe application error instruction at 0x012e06d1
referenced memory at 0x00000000 the memory could not be written"

I've done malware scans, virus scans, spyware scans, defragged the hard drive, cleaned the cache, etc.
The cpu is running at 100% most of the time as shown in the task

Computer is 10 minutes or more starting up, and several minutes launching apps.
Don't know what else to check.
By the way, I'm not any good at computers and I don't have a very good grasp on these things so any help needs to be in beginner terms if possible.
Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 03 October 2010 - 03:45 PM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Have a look at THIS. Let me know how things go,after you follow the steps.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Running this procedure now.

#5 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:52 PM

Thanks but didn't work. Now getting a:

"Data Execution Prevention
To Help Protect Your Computer Window has Closed this Program
Generic Host Process for Win32 services
Publisher: Microsoft Corp

I've been getting this off and on since I upgraded to SP3, but I haven't seen it in a day or so. "It's Back"

Should I go ahead with the next suggestion in the thread?

#6 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

YES you should this would be your best bet,let us know how things go from here. :thumbsup: If all else fails do a system restore to a point before sp3 install.Here is the LINK

Edited by rockmilk, 03 October 2010 - 03:04 PM.

#7 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:11 PM

Ok, It's asking me for an Installation CD and I don't have one. I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do if I don't have an installation CD. I have no clue when messing with this stuff.

#8 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

Can you borrow one from a friend if not just do the system restore as in my previous post to you.

#9 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

System restore huh......... I've just spent the entire week uploading SP3 and all the other updates that come along with it, over 50 updates. Does the restore mean that I will be wiping all the work of the past week into the trash?

#10 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:22 PM

Yes!!! Or you can wait for someone else to help you.Or just ask around for the xp cd from a friend cause it wouldnt ask for the cd if there were not any problems.If it were me I would try to get a hold of the cd.

Edited by rockmilk, 03 October 2010 - 03:24 PM.

#11 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

Ok, I'll check with a buddy that works on these things, as a matter of fact I got this unit from him. If any body else has any further suggestions I'll all ears, and thanks for all help and suggestions thus far.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

System restore huh......... I've just spent the entire week uploading SP3 and all the other updates that come along with it, over 50 updates. Does the restore mean that I will be wiping all the work of the past week into the trash?

If you choose a date that was prior to your trouble, yes... you will lose everything that was loaded beyond that point.

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

I just decided to take it to a buddy who know how to work on these things. I had the better part of a week in it and it seemed I was making it worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users