Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not start

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Simman

Simman

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

Well...I'm not sure this fits here...but I thought I'd try anyway...and if It isnt, I apologize.

Basically this is happening after my computer would make a strange sound. (Its the Power supply fan rubbing on something....sometimes it happens other times the computer starts without making the sound. I need to get a new one...preferaby not a cheap made one.) I always restart the pc when I hear the sound because its annoying and I'm sure its not good for the pc. (Sound starts within 10 seconds of turning pc on)

Anyway, my new problem is that my computer wont start. Push the button, and it reboots after 2 seconds....it does this without end. I have all the cables plugged in and it should work (Hell...worked yesterday fine.)

Cant really provide anymore information about the problem...but I can try.

Something tells me something is seriously broken :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First off, are you sure it is the power supply cooling fan?

If it is, there could be either dust build up on the cooling fan or the fan's barrings are worn out and the cooling fan is either binding up or it is wobbling while it is spinning.

There are replacement fans for power supplies. Most power supply cooling fans are plug in types, they have a plug at the end of the power wire that plug into the power supply's circuit board.

You should also check the processor cooling fan and make sure it is not that fan that is making the noise. If it is you can replace that fan as well if it is the cause of the noise.

The reason your computer is restarting is because there is a component that is over heating and causing the computer to restart or shut down in an effort to prevent damage to the components the cooling fans are designed to protect.

If the cooling fan is failing to keep things cool, the components reach a dangerous level of heat and shut down. If this heat is allowed to continue like this, the component can eventually burn up or burn open, eventually causing permanent damage.

You should also take the time to clean the computer out for dust build up.

Check all heat sinks and cooling fans for dust build up.

When dust builds up on cooling fan blades, it causes the cooling fan to spin off center, after a while this causes the bushings on the cooling fan to wear unevenly, eventually the cooling fan spins off center permanently and it will wobble, thus causing a louder than normal noise, eventually, the cooling fan will bind up and slow down until it eventually stops spinning altogether.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 11:37 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

I want to add that if your power supply cooling fan is the culprit here and you decide to replace the cooling fan inside the power supply, you have to use extreme caution while replacing the cooling fan.

Avoid touching anything inside the power supply except for the plug for the cooling fan. The power supply has very large capacitors, these are those large round cylinders that resemble canisters. These can store voltage that is very high, in fact they can store voltage that is enough to give you one hell of a volt of electricity! DO NOT touch the other components on the circuit board or you will wittiness the jolt I have warned you about!

The cooling fan inside the power supply is held in place with four screws at each corner of the cooling fan, remove those, cut the wire ties holding the wire (if there are any) and unplug the power wire from the power supply circuit board.

Remove the old fan and put the new one in just as the old one was. Make sure you use a wire tie to keep the wire from making contact with the fan or any components that may exhibit heat, because if the power wires come in contact with these components, they can burn through the wire's rubber coating and create a short circuit.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 11:32 AM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thank you very much for responding, Bruce :flowers:

I am almost certain about it being the power supply fan that is making a noise. (One of them at least. One is an exhaust fan, the other is inside, blowing down into the case). The thing is, it doesnt always do it...sometimes it doesnt show up for a week or two...its an odd problem.

About overheating...I dont think thats the problem, although cleaning wouldn't be a bad idea. The reason I disagree is because I use Evga Precision, and that helps me monitor my temperatures. It shows me the Temp of my CPU and GPU anytime I have a fullscreen application open.

Also, doesnt bios have a beep code for Overheat? Or maybe bios doesnt have time to bootup for me...I mean..I hit the button, Literally 2 seconds later it'll reboot. Is that enough time?

If I am to replace the Psu fan, I'll more then likely replace the entire thing. I'm looking to get a higher voltage one for a new computer I will be building anyway.

Possibly related, my computer bluescreened last night before I turned it off. It didnt have an error message, but other then that it looked typical. It never reached 100% on the physical dump to disk thing...it got stuck at 45 and stopped.

Again, thankyou for your time. Sorry if its a bit much to read.

Edit: If theres any other information you'd like me to provide, I'll try my best to give it to you. I miss my pc :thumbsup:

Edited by Simman, 03 October 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:33 AM

I think a PSU upgrade is an excellent idea.

I had a cooling fan in my power supply that was wobbling and I replaced it, it was the horizontal intake fan located at the bottom of my power supply, those cooling fans usually are positioned to be intake fans to draw heat out of the case into the power supply and out through the power supply exhaust fan blowing out the back of the case.

If you plan to use this power supply as a backup, it would be a good idea to spend the $15.00 USD for a replacement cooling fan, if not then just disgard it or give it away to someone who likes to tinker with things like that.

That cooling fan will seize up eventually though, or at worst the fan will come apart.

Now on to your other issue with the computer will not start.

You mentioned it runs for 2 seconds then shuts off. How far does it get before it shuts off?

Do you see anything on the screen such as the POST screen?

Does it appear to run into problems once the video driver starts to load?

Will the computer boot up into SAFE-MODE?

If you try hitting the F8 key just before the Windows splash screen is supposed to load and it does boot into SAFE-MODE you have a driver issue.

Please try booting into SAFE_MODE_WITH_NETWORKING if you can and let me know if this is possible.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 October 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#6 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:21 PM

Thankyou for the recommendation :thumbsup: I'll be investing in a nice 650w from a brand name this time around.

Now to my main issue. When I said the computer restarts after two seconds, I wasn't exaggerating sadly. This is what Basically happens:

Hit Power button.
2 seconds pass
Hard Drive light flashes a bit
Power light and Hard drive light go out for about 1 second.
Power light turns on.

It does this without end...Though I've only let it do that a few times....a bit worried the Pc might kill itself.

Once again, thanks for responding. ^^

Edited by Simman, 04 October 2010 - 07:25 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:04 PM

Okay but basically you are NOT seeing anything on the computer screen at all is this correct?

Bruce.

#8 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:13 PM

Correct. The monitor does not change at all.

Something I noticed after trying to turn it on....Sometimes, It will stop its strange cycle, and Simply sit there...fans at max, no HD activity light. Really wish the Pc could help me out here :thumbsup:

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

Okay thanks for your quick reply, I am about to type a very long post here shortly.

It is my desire to help you save this computer, I do not think at this moment and time we can call your computer a lost cause.

I was NOT trained that way when I was learning electronics repair theory in school.

I was trained with a theory called "Process of elimination." Meaning before we throw in the towel, we have to eliminate every possibility first.

It is a good theory and it does work at least 60% of the time.

It is entirely up to you if you wish me to post out the rather lengthy instructions. I want to warn you, it involves just about taking your computer completely apart and re-assembling it piece by piece.

If you are up for that, please let me know.

Bruce.

#10 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm all for it....I really don't want to get a new set up...New parts would be nice..but I have other plans for my money.

If you have the time to write it out, I would happily follow those instructions as thoroughly as I can. I just hope it doesn't take too much of your time. I'm sure you have plenty on your plate already :thumbsup: And the fact that your helping me for free is truly amazing.

I again thank you for all the help you are giving me :D

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

It is not a problem for me, this is what I enjoy doing, I am capable of not only helping you, but I usually jump between 5 or 6 other threads at the same time.

Its been my life to multitask and play Final Fantasy VIII on my computer (Yeah I know old game) at the same time.

In fact I am on disk one in one game picking up on things I missed in my first game to which I am about to switch to disk 3.

I missed a lot of the Guardian Forces in my first game, so I am making up for that by starting over but at the same time still playing the first round. Too bad my rank went down and I only get 500G's, but then again you do not do things like perform magic spells inside Balamb Garden. LOL I learned the hard way, my rank dropped considerable by making that mistake and I had the nerve to save the game that way. Oh well.

Okay in my next post I will provide the instructions, I just figured a little bit of general chat every now and then, lightens up the stress of computer trouble-shooting. Maybe that is why I have never used a hammer on a computer. :thumbsup: I know how to mix humor into the situation, to which makes it more fun to do.

My motto is treat your computer problem like it is a BOSS character in a role playing game, your quest is to find the BOSS character and defeat it to win the game.

Okay enough humor, be back with your instructions shortly.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 October 2010 - 10:37 PM.

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Okay now that we have had a time out for some much needed rest..ahh R&R!

It is time to get to work.

You need to find an area to which you will have plenty of room to work.

Perferably a table top is best or a work bench, where you are not cramped for space.

I do not know if you have access to another computer to which you can view this web site, if this is not the case, you should copy and paste this text into a text editer such as note pad, then save the text file and send the text to a printer and print out this text on paper.

It is highly important that you make and keep notes and diagrams that will be helpful to you in the event you forget how things were positioned or hooked up inside your computer. PLEASE MAKE NOTES AND DIAGRAMS You will thank yourself later.

I need to ask you for the make and model number of this computer before I continue here, I just realized that has yet to be posted.

Once I have that information, I can apply the proper instructions.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.

#13 Simman

Simman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Haha, The classics are the best ;)

I became a little worried because I wasn't sure how to find the model number...and didnt really know it at all. Turn out that stickers, while annoying, can be very useful ;)

Its an HP Pavilion media center m8100n. (I bought Hp...such a bad choice as a gamer :thumbsup: )
Heres a link to their documentation of the model:

Hp Pavilion Media Center m8100n

I had a vague schematic of the motherboard for myself...funny enough, its on the computer thats having trouble. I'm sure I'll find it somewhere...If not, I'll just jot some notes and drawings down like you suggested :flowers:

As to access to another computer, I'm working from a Laptop now, so access to these forums isn't a problem. What is a problem is that I have college and work right afterwards, So I'll work on the pc about 18 hours from now. Being the amazing person you are, I'm sure thats not a problem though ^^

Your probably tired of this, But thanks again for the help :D

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

Well I didn't go into my life's history and it used to be in my signature, but I removed it that I am presently attending a University full time for my AS in "computer science technology" so I can understand your position.

I am an old goat of 51, and retired for the time being, so I can learn computer programming, which is something I've always wanted to do for the last 11 years, but didn't have the time.

Money was good and I saved up when I could, to which now enables me to update my career to the new millennium.

By the way thanks for the information on your computer, now its time for me to compose a paper on how you are going to disassemble your computer. :thumbsup: Be with you shortly.

Bruce.

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

Now I am providing a link to the support pages for your computer.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product...p;submit=Go%20

Here are the manuals for your computer, they can come in handy.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualC...ct=3440614&

Be back shortly, it will take a bit of time to type everything out, I do not actually put together ready made instructions, because every computer is different and requires different instructions.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users