Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive writing became slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JorgeO.555

JorgeO.555

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

Hello,

My DVD drive (LG GH20NS10) used to burn a DVD in about 8min (8X media).

Suddenly, it started to take 32min. Same media (TYG02), no hardware changes, no SW change I'm aware of.

Win XP SP3, automatic updates, Intel mobo, C2D 6600.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:44 AM

I would check the DMA settings for the drive.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

What software are you using to burn your DVDs with?

You can go to device manager and see what the settings are for your drive by right clicking the drive in question.

The settings are related to whether your drive is running under UDMA or PIO mode.

It is Okay if both are set to a number above 0 (zero) but the UDMA or DMA should be a higher number then PIO.

For example, DMA can be set to 4 or 5 and PIO set to 0 or 1, but if PIO is set to 4 or 5 and DMA is set to 0 this can cause a slow response from the drive.

You will also notice these settings are also available in your computers BIOS settings for disk drives.

You should make sure the drive has a higher value for DMA (Direct Memory Access) it may also be called UDMA for Ultra Direct Memory Access, then the PIO value. (PIO stands for Programmed Input/Output)

Please read this information on DMA versus PIO mode.

Altough this web site offers a fix, you can make the changes manually in the BIOS setup utility yourself, I have only provided this web page for an explaination about the importance of the UDMA settings.

http://winhlp.com/node/10

Hope this helps.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 12:05 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 JorgeO.555

JorgeO.555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

Thanks, Louis

Thanks, Bruce.

It was the DMA. Bruce's link was most helpful, and DMA was set from PIO to UDMA using the script (the easiest way)

I wasn't aware Windows could reset the driver! Recently I was asked to try to copy an heavily scratched kid's DVD and that must have been the time Windows reset the driver.

BTW, I burn DVDs using Nero 6.

Regards,

Jorge

Edited by JorgeO.555, 03 October 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

Glad to been a help to you, it took me so long to post mine, I did not even see that Hamluis had also posted to the thread. LOL

Happy computing! :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users