Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I link 2 PCs together to increase performnace?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gr8fandini

gr8fandini

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Have an older PC, Gateway with a 2.6 gig Pentium 4, and 1 gig Ram. It has started having problems with being slow to load apps etc. Not really ready to buy a new computer so I was wondering if I could link 2 desktop units together to increase power and performance.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:42 PM

perhaps with different distros of linux you could, in theory do that with the proper networking hardware and knowledgebase of how linux works, theres no real way of doing it with windows im afraid, and Im not familiar with how to do it with linux-I just know you can.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:56 PM

That could be like some kind of a distributed computing setup, but those function mainly for data operations and not general purpose/gaming tasks.

3939.png

#4 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:02 AM

That could be like some kind of a distributed computing setup, but those function mainly for data operations and not general purpose/gaming tasks.

Disturbed......... That's funny, I like that. Was hoping I could boost my performance and save some money. I see banks of these things set up for mass computing operations and was wondering if linking two home units together would double my speed and power. Maybe just a dumb idea, ..... but I had to ask.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

Have an older PC, Gateway with a 2.6 gig Pentium 4, and 1 gig Ram. It has started having problems with being slow to load apps etc. Not really ready to buy a new computer so I was wondering if I could link 2 desktop units together to increase power and performance.
Thanks

Not really practical for everyday computing but there may be things you could do to your old computer to give it some more life. First of all would be to make sure unnecessary programs aren't being loaded at boot time. You can use msconfig to help you with that.

You may be able to upgrade your HDD to a newer, faster model. Going to an SSD (Solid State Drive) probably wouldn't be economically sound (though it would improve performance) but if your current HDD is a 5400rpm you could gain some performance installing a 7200rpm drive.

You should also look into perhaps upgrading to 2G of RAM. You can use the scanner tool at Crucial.com to find out what max RAM you can put in your computer and what RAM you need to purchase.

Edited by strolln, 13 October 2010 - 08:55 AM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 gr8fandini

gr8fandini
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

I've thought about going to a faster Hard drive if possible. I'm maxed out on ram at 1 gig though. I just had a tech go thru it to make sure nothing was running that I didn't need running, so I think I'm good there. I'm thinking that some of the problem is the CA security suite.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

I've thought about going to a faster Hard drive if possible. I'm maxed out on ram at 1 gig though. I just had a tech go thru it to make sure nothing was running that I didn't need running, so I think I'm good there. I'm thinking that some of the problem is the CA security suite.

Is CA security suite your slowing your start up?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users