Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro blanking screen every few minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gjbnc

gjbnc

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

Computer: XP SP3, 2 GB RAM, C:, D: and E: are partitions on RAID 1 drive (250 GB), W: is a 4 TB and X: is a 8 TB NAS drive for backup. nVidia Quadro FX 550. Blu-ray, DVD-r.

All Microsoft updates have been applied except one. Every attempt fails to apply this update: Security Update for Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007 (KB982158)

Hardware environment has not changed this year.

This blanking issue started within the last 3 months. When it blanks, the screen goes completely blanck for about one second and then returns to exactly where it was.

It blankes the screen during the progress bar passes as Windows XP is loading and then right after logging in.

It blanks randomly is now happening every few minutes. It appears to be shortly after startup of an application as well as random times.

Keyboard and mouse are not interupted during this 1 second blanking period.

Over the last 2 weeks, m0le has guided me through a process of removing several malicious viruses from my computer. It appears they are now gone.

Tools used for identifying and removing malicious software included ComboFix, SuperAntiSpyware, Kaspersky, MBRcheck, MalwareBytes AntiMalware.

I run VIPRE and SAS full time on my computer.

I have a low res (1.6 MB) clip showing the blanking.

Has anyone heard of this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:27 PM

I have heard of blanking issues before.

What we need from you is more information about your hardware.

What is your motherboards make and model number?

We need more hardware information on this video card, such as the present driver and version number you are using.

Here is the latest driver available for the nVidia Quadro FX 550. This is version number 259.57 This the latest driver for Windows XP 32 Bit.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-winxp-...hql-driver.html

It appears your having a driver issues here, because the problem you are having usually starts as soon as Windows loads the driver for your video processor.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 12:42 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 gjbnc

gjbnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

Bruce,

I have a standard DELL Precision 390, 2 GB RAM, Intel core 2 CPU, 6300

Quadro FX 550
PCI Express x16

Driver version:
Old, 8.1.7.6, 3/12/2006
New, 6.14.12.5957, 9/1/2010

VideoBIOS: 5.43.02.97.01
Forceware version: 81.76

I have not had the problem since I used the driver update link you provided and then rebooted the computer.

Let me use it for a couple of days to see if the issue appears again.

This is wonderful. Thanks for the guidance.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

It is my hope that everything is good from this point on. :thumbsup:

If not, you can always come back and let me know, I am one of those people who just loves it when a member has a HAPPY BC SMILE!

...And I do not give up till I see one! :flowers:

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 gjbnc

gjbnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Bruce,

Please consider this my Happy BC Smile :thumbsup:

Because I am very happy!!! :flowers:

#6 gjbnc

gjbnc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:58 AM

Bruce,

It took 2 days for the blanking to return. Probably because I did not use the computer very much.

I re-installed the video card driver again and it had no effect.

There are other issues as well. For example, for 2 days I heve received a popup message when logging from Outlook Express saying I can free up disk space. I do not have a disk space problem and I have NEVER used Oulook express on this computer. I then uninstalled Outlook express and the message continues to appear when logging in.

It sounds like I still have some bugaboos running around in my computer.

Any recomendations?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users