Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP won't boot iertutil.dll missing tried reinstalling

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Jbenny2

Jbenny2

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:17 AM

My Laptop was getting very slow browsing the interent, so i ran spybot and found nothing. Then i ran malwarebytes, which found a couple of problems and a trojan which it removed and told me to rebot. It also told me to upgade to a newer version of internet explorer as there were know security issues with version 7 i was using. After the install of IE 8 it told me to restart and thats when the problem started.

I got a message saying explore.exe couldn't start as "iertutil.dll couldn't be located". And the startup stops with just the desktop screen with no icons or taskbar.

I Googled the problem and found a couple of guides showing how to fix the problem by downloading the missing .dll file and copying it onto a USB flash drive and using Crtl+ Alt+ Del to access taskmanager to select it and copy and paste it into and windows system32 folder.

Rebooted and now i get a different error message "the ordinal 650 could not be located in the dynamic link library iertutil.dll"

If i Crtl+ Alt+ Del now to open taskmanager and select processes tab there are hundreds of processes running and it just gets slower and slower.

Any ideas??

It's a Dell Latitude D630 laptop running Windows XP Pro

Just tried to copy iertutil.dll from my spare laptop which is running ie 7 using the usb flash drive. When i CTRL + ALT + DEL to open task manager it very slow and showed 600+ processes and this just keeps going up every few seconds it's now up to 900 and 1407M/2441M. Every new process had SrvSrvSrvSrv after it.
It's now reducing as i type this back down to 700 processes.

any ideas whats going on and how to get my laptop back to normal?

Edited by Jbenny2, 03 October 2010 - 08:28 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

looking down the list of processes there are numerous (like 300+) "iexplore.exe" all with cpu usage 00 and mem usage 912k

#3 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:54 AM

the list of processes has shot up to 1700 and is still rising all the newest ones at the top of the list end in SRVSrvSrvSrv eg. cmdSrvSrvSrvSrv.... and runonceSrvSrvSrvSrv.... CPU usage is 100% and Memory is also up to 2707M/2937M

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

Hello, possible corrupt install of IE8 due to malware. In cotrol Panel ,Uninstall IE8,Reboot and see what errors if any are left. Removeing 8 will automatilly bring back 7 as you upgraded.

Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal/regular mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Next run ATF and SAS: If you cannot access Safe Mode,run in normal ,but let me know.

Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

From your regular user account..
Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opera browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post logs and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:31 AM

I can't access my desktop or start menu. All i can do is CTRL + ALT + DEL to open task manager. How do i run MBAM (MalwareBytes) from just the task manager

#6 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

I've managed to select MBAM (MalwareBytes) by selecting file new task and then browsing and locating the icon in my desktop folder.
Now i get the following errors

An Error has occurred. Please report this to our support team.
MBAM_EEEOR_EXPANDING_VARIABLES(0,53)

I click OK then i get this message

An Error has occurred. Please report this to our support team.
MBAM_EEEOR_MISSING_FILE(3, 0, mbamswissarmy.sys)
The system could not find the specified path.

I click OK then it takes me back to task manager

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Lets see if running SAS first will allow MBAM second. These can be downloaded and run from a CD or Flashdrive also.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:05 PM

i've downloaded them both to a flashdrive and also installed SAS onto the flashdrive. After a lot of waiting i've managed to get back into task manager and copy sas onto the desktop. I've doubled clicked it and installed it onto the harddrive c: and then gone into where it was installed and ran sasupdate as a new task, nothing happened, so i ran sas as a new task. nothing. I'm just going to reboot it and try it again. The problem is with over 1000 processes running it takes ages to even just move the mouse sometimes and wait for it to catch up on the screen !

#9 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:13 PM

I've managed to select RunSAS.exe as a new task in task manager, but all that happensis 2 new processes come up in task manager RunSASSrv.exe and RunSASSrvSrv.exe and then it continues to run more and more task all ending in SrvSrvSrvSrv...

Should i be logged in as my usual user or admin. And is it a normal boot into windows or should i try and boot into safemode and give it a try?

Edited by Jbenny2, 05 October 2010 - 03:24 PM.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

Man I had a crazy day!!
SAS is better in Safe Mode. Use of your regular user is best,

#11 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

I'm still getting nothing trying to Run SAS in safe mode as my regular user. :thumbsup:
I'm starting to regret ever trying to update interent explorer!

Edited by Jbenny2, 06 October 2010 - 09:32 AM.

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

We need a deeper look. Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip Gmer.
Let me know if that went well.

#13 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

I will give it a go when i get home tonight, but i don't know how much of it i can do with only task manager. I will try and copy everything via USB flash dive hopefully this will work,.
Thanks for all you help.

#14 Jbenny2

Jbenny2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:34 AM

Sorry i've not had chance to have a go at it yet i'll try one evening this week and let you know how i get on.
Thanks again

#15 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

No problem ,just as soon as you can as there is a couple of day back log in that forum,so get in the queue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users