Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File transfer from my old PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 krip2454

krip2454

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:49 AM

My poor eight year old PC is starting to feel the pace and it is time to look for a new one. Obviously, I need to transfer lots of my current files onto my new PC.
Is there some way that I can copy all these files to a remote server and then once I have my new PC, transfer said files to the new computer?
It seems very long winded having to copy everything onto disc/stick and then to transfer them all.
Please do not flood me with technical talk as being a "silver surfer", I can handle most computer jargon thrown at me, but there is a limit. Plain English would be appreciated. :blink:
Thanks for reading me. :wacko:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

Once you have the new PC, pull the harddrive from the old computer, stick it in the new computer, and transfer your files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

the other way to do it is if you have a router at home that has multiple network hook ups, is to network the two together and transfer that route, though it will take much longer then pulling the hard drive like TG suggested.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:36 PM

All software will have to be reinstalled. There is no way around that
Your data should be in the My Documents folder unless you are running accounting software like Quicken or Quickbooks which can be backed up from inside the program itself.

If you get My Docs and the favorites you have the majority of your stuff (possibly all).
The only other thing would be the email. If you use web based mail like Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail etc simply log back into the website. Outlook Express is a little tougher. It depends on what you are using.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'll just add that it's normal to encounter an "access denied" message when trying to move data files from any folder in the Docs/Settings group to a new hard drive or different system.

Easily overcome by Taking Ownership - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

Louis

#6 robinls

robinls

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:56 AM

First I would agree with all the previous suggestions. However your origianl question was an online solution, and yes there are options. One is google docs the other is microsoft sky drive

http://docs.google.com
http://explore.live.com/windows-live-skydrive

There are literally hundreds of others, google cloud computing and follow most links, many are free. A very good service I am familiar with is Mozy online backup, that would do it also.

However, one suggesstion I didn't hear is the possiblity that it would all fit on a flash drive/usb stick, and don't forget lots of phones come now with a pretty large sd card. I moved an old PC recently and it I thought it would be chock full of stuff, and it was, but being and older PC everything totaled less than 7 GB, so I just used my thumb drive!

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

Even saving via USB to a flash drive or preferably a HDD enclosure will be much faster than uploading to online storage and downloading again.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users