Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question.... Dont know how to word...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rolltide101

rolltide101

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:33 AM

My netbook came with Win7 Starter and I bought the Win7 Starter to Home Premium upgrade. I just accidentally overwrote my windows partition when I was installing ubuntu..... Is there any way I can get Windows back Legally without buying it?... Somehow I doubt it.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

What is the make and model of you notebook?

Did the upgrade purchase include a CD for the installation?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 rolltide101

rolltide101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

It had WIndow 7 Starter. It came on the netbook. All I have is the WIndows Home Premium Upgrade key. It seems im screwed lol

Its a Asus T101MT netbook. But im cool with just Ubuntu. But I would like to have Win7 back if possible. It was my own stupidity that caused this anyway

Edited by rolltide101, 04 October 2010 - 09:35 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:50 PM

This presents a real problem. Since you overwrote the operating system you will not be able to use the recovery partition.

I would contact ASUS and explain what you have done and see if they will provide you with a installation CD for the Windows 7 Starter.

I have never upgraded a Windows operating system, so I don't know if the key is a one time use or not. You may have to contact the retailer that you purchased it from to see if it can be used again. I would suggest having your Windows key on hand when you do this to substantiate that this is the original computer that it was applied to.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:12 PM

Try hit F9 just after the BIOS Post screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users