Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp won't format

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 marinochick

marinochick

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:16 AM

I did the reformat ting on my dell with the ctrl F11 and it started to format and now it just comes up with a warning not to turn computer off until this message goes away and still nothing happens when it goes away. now it won't when I insert the disk the CD Rom doesn't work. :thumbsup: What can I do to fix this??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:00 AM

What model is this Dell?

Do you the installation disk for this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 marinochick

marinochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Yes I do have all the disk it came with it's a B 110 and rarely used but someone was on it and it got a major virus and wouldn't do anything except freeze.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:33 PM

Since you have the disks, I would suggest wiping the hdd. Wiping it will overwrite the entire hdd, and is the most effective way to insure that there are no infections afterward.

I like WidpeDrive, it is a freeware program and is easy to use.

http://download.cnet.com/WipeDrive/3000-2094_4-10188472.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 marinochick

marinochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

Thank you. I just don't know what the disk can do if I can get the CD rom to work but I will read your link. I appreciate your help !!

#6 marinochick

marinochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

Well this won't work because I can't even get there from the comp. All if does is says WARNING do not move from this page and then it lets me go nowhere at all for any reason. So trying to get to a link from it is impossible. Was hoping there was a way to start the CD in a way I didn't know about.
Than you

#7 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:22 PM

Have you tried THIS. Hit the RUNNOW button.You can try this in safe mode with networking.Then boot into normal mode.If this works then try and continue with the reformating.

Edited by rockmilk, 03 October 2010 - 02:33 PM.

#8 marinochick

marinochick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

No because when it's trying this format thing through the F11 it disable the keyboard and mouse. Nothing works at all.

#9 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

Can you get into safemode?

#10 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

start>right click computer>properties>devicemanager>are there any yellow explanation points next to any thing?

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:26 PM

Not just yet...

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2010 - 04:44 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

Thank you. I just don't know what the disk can do if I can get the CD rom to work but I will read your link. I appreciate your help !!

You may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, then it should boot from the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users