Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Microsoft Security Essentials

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Goomba

Goomba

• Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:45 AM

Posted Image

Every time I try to close it, it just comes back immediately.

The directions include ending the processes antispy.exe, defender.exe, or tmp.exe, but task manager refuses to appear, along with any other programs.

The directions also include deleting %UserProfile%\Application Data\PAV\, %UserProfile%\Application Data\antispy.exe, %UserProfile%\Application Data\defender.exe, or %UserProfile%\Application Data\tmp.exe, but I cannot find any of them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Goomba.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 08:41 AM

Try Automated Removal Instructions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...ssentials-alert

Please report back with exact information on any problems
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Mike G Charles

Mike G Charles

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Posted Image

Every time I try to close it, it just comes back immediately.

The directions include ending the processes antispy.exe, defender.exe, or tmp.exe, but task manager refuses to appear, along with any other programs.

The directions also include deleting %UserProfile%\Application Data\PAV\, %UserProfile%\Application Data\antispy.exe, %UserProfile%\Application Data\defender.exe, or %UserProfile%\Application Data\tmp.exe, but I cannot find any of them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Goomba.

I have the same thing. The rkill exe doesn't seem to be working (in any of the various download forms and/or names. copied onto a usb drive from another non-infected pc). It runs for a second, then quits, the last thing I see is 'Please be patient'. It does create a log:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.
Ran as [me] on 10/03/2010 at 15:51:39.

Services stopped:

This is on a Windows XP laptop, Microsoft Security Essentials is current as of 10/2 11:35 pm

EDIT TO ADD:

I just restored from yesterday AMs restore point, downloaded Malwarebytes current version and am doing a quick scan - will do a full scan later. So far so good.

Edited by Mike G Charles, 03 October 2010 - 07:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users