Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Doubt about the network icons!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gupta.vijay

gupta.vijay

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:31 AM

I have Compaq Laptop with Windows 7.

I have a very basic query: When I go to "Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections" , there are different network icons with different labels (below):

1) Bluetooth Network Connection (Bluetooth Device written below it)
2) BSNL (Mobile Connector written below it)
3) Local Area Connection (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller written below it)
4) Wireless Network Connection (Broadcom 802.11bg WLAN written below it)
5) Wireless Network Connection 2 (Microsoft Virtual Wi Fi Miniport Access written below it)

These icons cannot be deleted as these give validation message on trying to deleting.
I have 2 queries:

1) what are these icons and what do they signify?
2) why am I not able to delete these icons?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Bluetooth network: If you have any bluetooth devices (wireless mice/pointers/ect)
BSNL: Mobile Broadband connection (3g cellular internet option usually on Netbooks)
Local Area Connection: Wired Network Port to hook up your computer to a router/switch
Wireless Broadcom: Your computers Wireless Network Card
Wireless Microsoft: Usually used for ADHOC networking or other misc wifi connections.

They just show you what options you have. Most times you will only used Local Area Connection and Wireless (Broadcom).
You cant remove them because they are system devices. They will always be there. They wont harm your computer and they wont use any extra power from just being there. Leave them alone!

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users