Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntoskrnl ?.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 michael-hill

michael-hill

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:36 PM

HI!. having trouble with computer,( Windows Roots >\Systems32\ntoskrnl.exe ) is corrupt or missing
hoping this is the right forum to be in?.

I don't have windows disk as it was installed on computr. I'm not able to move tried Safe mode could'nt get in
tried to run malwarebytes and avg, and all I got was half way through and comp.would freeze up.

How can I reinstall ntoskrnl, why does computer freezeup ,

I'm sending this from another computer,

Windows XP sp2

thanks for your help

Mick.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hello any one help here

#3 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

Hello michael-hill

Welcome to BleepingComputer smile.gif
==========================
Does your computer have the Recovery Console installed.
Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#4 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

G/Day kahdah, Not that I know of?. either way I can't open anything even in safe mode, I get a window saying,,( Windows Roots >\Systems32\ntoskrnl.exe ) is corrupt or missing. and nothing will open.

I don't have a recovery disk or the os disk.

There is another computer here my sisters ,,can we join them together to make the other work?, not being up with these modern things we don't know what to do.
hanks for your help.

Mick.

#5 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

Ok no there is no way to link them together but we can try a few things.
Please see if this method gets you back into Windows.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

#6 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

Did not work, keeps locking up at ( Windows Roots >\Systems32\ntoskrnl.exe. is corrupt or missing.) Please re-install a copy of the above file.
nothing will open.

#7 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

Well can you get a hold of an xp cd then we will need it to attempt any repairs.
If not it I can send you to the xp forum and see if they can get you squared away.

#8 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi. Got hold of one, Win XP pro. with sp2, version 2002, would I need a license number for it to run?.

Win XP pro. with sp2, is on my machine but don't know version. license number.

#9 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:52 AM

Ok that is fine you will not need the license for this.
Place the cd in the drive then when prompted to "Press any key to boot from cd" press any key to make it boot from the disk.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Once the Recovery Console loads up, you will have to type in a number that corresponds to your Windows installation. This is normally just 1. Press Enter and then type in the Administrator password.
If no password then leave it blank then hit enter.
It should look like this
At the next prompt type in chkdsk /r and hit Enter.
It will go through a series of checks when it is done simply type in exit and the computer will restart.
See then if you can get into Windows.

#10 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

I'm afraid that did'nt work, when I press a key the machine just restarts and goes back to the notice to reinstall ntoskrnl.
tried in safe mode just the same.

#11 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:08 AM

So does it try to even boot from the cd?
What type of computer is it Dell,Hp etc...

#12 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

No it does not boot form cd. the make is a ASI Argyle V210 o.i.t. and running win xp-pro with a 1-2 cpu.

when I press any key the comp. will just reboot.

I think next time I go fishing I will take the computer with me and use it as an anchor . LOL.

#13 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:16 AM

Hmm well if you want I can send you to another part of this forum to try to figure this out.
They will be better able to assist in this matter.
Post a new topic here > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum56.html and let them know the situation and they will help you get it sorted out since this is not a malware issue.

#14 michael-hill

michael-hill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:24 PM

OK. thank you for your time.

mick

#15 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

You are welcome smile.gif

Continued in another part of the forum.
This thread is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users