Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Use A Cpu W/o A Case?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

I dont have a case yet, but i have power supply box. Is it possible?

do i need use of jumper to do that?

hope for ur reply! guys

for computer genius out there

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

It can be done if you put the motherboard on a non conductive surface like wood or cardboard. That is how you test your mobo, CPU, Ram and Video before mounting the mobo in its case.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 CASTIGLIANO

CASTIGLIANO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:22 AM

It can be done if you put the motherboard on a non conductive surface like wood or cardboard. That is how you test your mobo, CPU, Ram and Video before mounting the mobo in its case.

TANX! but how to do it? will my cpu automatically turned on when I plug the cord?

I'm not sure if the power supply box is working? because when I connect it to the motherboard nothing happens, and the led light of the mobo. doesn't light on.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:26 AM

Actually you need the power button on the case to turn it on, or at least some type of power button. My mistake. I was thinking of an older system.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

You may have a grouding problem.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

You can find cases on sale for $10 to $15 US all the time. Garage sales may even be cheaper.

What happens when something falls/jumps onto/sits on the motherboard? FWIW - I have my system in a case with the sides open all the time. It's close enough to another system that nothing can accidentally fall into it. It works fine that way.

Surfing the web will show you some of the craziest mods available for systems. To include putting them in the open, in your coffee table, in a refrigerator, on the wall, etc - your imagination's the limit!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

I agree this is no way to run the computer, but if you're just testing...

Find out exactly which two pins, on the 'complex header' or front panel conector, the PWR switch connects to and short them out with a small screwdriver. It only takes momentary contact and the PC should power up. Of course if your hand slips... :thumbsup:

hth :flowers:

Edited by Rimmer, 15 November 2005 - 08:05 PM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:10 PM

Kind of like shorting out the selenoid to start your car?

:thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 11:32 PM

If you have an old cd audio cable, the plug should fit. Then all you do is touch the two wires together from outside the case. :thumbsup:
Not pretty, but may avoid a shocking event.

Edited by acklan, 16 November 2005 - 03:57 AM.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2005 - 04:03 AM

I ran a P-I 200 attached between to pieces of plexiglass to demostrate to some kids the different parts of the computer. That was back in '99. I had it on my computer room wall for 2 years until I moved. No one believed it worked. There were no flashing lights. Just a couple of cables dangling from the wall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users