Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VisualToolTip.exe Entry Point Not Found error :- Computer Hangs + Mouse and Keyboard not working!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 netme

netme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:07 PM

Hello guys

( I have tried to ask this to other forums, but yet no help!)
I have just into extreme pressure of this problem right now.

Here is what happens:-

Window loads--> loading personal setting--> Then it shows a box :-

VisualToolTip.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameA could not be located in the dynamic library PSAPI.DLL

I tried to click OK and after sometime, I can not click anywhere. Even my keyword doesn't work anymore.

I tried to go to Safe Mode, but F8 key is not working because keyboard turns off during the boot. And it is turned on when after window is loaded... then the message comes up and then stays there forever. The only key works is the Start Up key, but no other keys work.

I thought of formatting, but when pc loads from CD and asks to press any key... I can not press any KEY........

I have seen many problem and have solved them myself but this one I can not do anything and I feel like I am locked out.

Please help me guys! Help!!!

Thanks for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hi netme, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Have you tried using a different keyboard?

Microsoft has a work around for this, but you need the use of your keyboard. You can read the article here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:54 AM

Hi netme, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

If would help if you were to post the make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build, please post the make and model of the motherboard.

Have you tried using a different keyboard?

Microsoft has a work around for this, but you need the use of your keyboard. You can read the article here.

Hi dc3

Many thanks for your repy

My Motherboard Model is GA-945GCM-S2L

Actually, I tried with 2 different keyboards. It turns 'on' just for few seconds after I turn the PC on, but at the time when I could press F8 for safe mode, the key doesn't work. When I arrive at desktop, it simply looks like a picture. The mouse moves everywhere but I can not click anywhere. Keyword is on, When I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, it shows Task manager only for the first time and then nothing works then. There are two icons on bottom right-- File zone and Net zone, both having cross sign in red colors it is still there!

This problem happened right after I installed bitdefender. :thumbsup:

------------
edit

Now I see another Error
CLayoutHostWind- Tooltip YahooMessenger.exe- Entry Point Not Found

I didnt do nothing yet but the I can now click Keyboard is working.

Now I need to make sure that this doesn't happen again. My guess is the registry of my PC is screwed or some bad virus is playing !

Edited by netme, 03 October 2010 - 01:05 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:09 AM

Edit:

You edited you post just as I was posting a reply.

That error message pertains to Yahoo Messenger.

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2010 - 01:23 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:54 AM

The problem is still on....

I see same problem again :thumbsup:

I can not click anything or nor my keyboard is working..

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

Are you using a PS/2 or USB keyboard?

Is this a wireless keyboard?

If you look in the Device Manager do you see any errors with keyboards?

#7 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:20 AM

Hi there,

I am using USB keyboard and USB mouse. When Window loading is completed. I am stuck in this-->

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Keyboard + MY Mouse doesn't work at all, So I can not go to device manager to look. Also, I can not go to Safe Mode.. :thumbsup:

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:49 AM

The error message in the photo is eligible.

In your first post you the error message that you posted was "The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameA could not be located in the dynamic library PSAPI.DLL". Are you sure that you copied it correctly, specifically GetProcessImageFileNameA, are you sure that isn't a W?

#9 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:04 AM

Hi there

Yes its is A, I checked it and it is GetProcessImageFileNameA

I hope you can help me to sort out, please! :thumbsup:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:48 AM

Do you have the installation CD for this computer?

#11 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:26 AM

Hello dc3

Okay, Here is so far I have done

I went to BIOS setting and there ( somewhere) was USB Keyboard disabled.. and I turned it to Enable and then I was able to use keyword during the loading. I can now go to Safe Mode, and right now I am in Safe Mode. There was visualtooltip.exe running when I went to msconfig. I untick it and again I rebooted. Then that error message was not showing. But I still couldn't use keyboard or click mouse when I was in desktop.

Yes I have installation CD with me right here... I am waiting for your suggestion what should I do next..

Many thanks so far! :thumbsup:

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:36 AM

What strikes me is that if you were able to use this keyboard prior to this then the USB keyboard and mouse had to have been enabled in the BIOS at some time. The only thing that I can think of that would disable it would be if the CMOS battery is on its way out and the BIOS went back to its default settings.

It looks like you have had two different problems, and it looks like you have a handle on the software problem. I would suggest replacing the CMOS battery, go back afterward and re-enable the USB keyboard and mouse. You will need to go into the control panel and reset the date and time as well.

Edit: I almost suggested that you check in the BIOS to see if it was enabled. But because you were able to use it at all made me think that it was already enabled. If it was disabled in the BIOS, then it shouldn't have worked at all.

Edited by dc3, 03 October 2010 - 04:38 AM.

#13 netme

netme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:16 AM

SOLVED!!!.. I had new spare battery..
Just one small battery was causing this whole problem??? I can not believe this...
Thanks a lot dc3, this is brilliant stuff. , you just sort out this problem. I could never ever have guessed it was due to a battery. Now it is all working..

However, there is one small problem, I think it might be due to registry

I am trying to install Avira Antivirus, and it is giving one error

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL

when I click it, it starts installing but there is one error in during installation... - Cannot create basic/update.exe
( I downloaded new version but same problem)

Many thanks again!

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:35 AM

Now that you have a keyboard once again, let's try this.

Run sfc with the scannow option, this will scan and repair important Windows files.

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

#15 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

You should also search your hard drive for other older PSAPI.DLL files that may have been installed by other programs. Any one of these programs could load the incompatible PSAPI.DLL as a shared dll and all the rest of windows will try to use it.

Search the hard drive for PSAPI.DLL and rename any found outside of your system32 directory to PSAPI.DLL.old.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users