Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cna data be retrieve from dead hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:51 PM

My 1 terabyte external hard drive (Seagate) died. I can still hear a very light squeeching noise inside but that's it. It's toats and I have over 500 gigs of important data in it. Is there a way to retrieve the data?

Thanks in advance.
Clydesdale™

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:15 PM

I would try booting up into a live CD like SystemRescueCD. The live CD stores in your ram so maybe you can get some data from your HDD

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:10 AM

Is this hdd recognized in My Computer or Disk Management?

Have you tried a different USB port, or another cable?

Have you tried accessing this hdd from another computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:27 AM

Is there a way to retrieve the data?

Have a read through the excellent information in the following link:
DjLizard's data recovery guide

Removing the hard drive from the USB enclosure and attaching it directly to the motherboard of a desktop computer eliminates one potential source of data corruption in the process of copying data from the faulty hard drive to a good hard drive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:41 AM

Removing the hard drive from the USB enclosure and attaching it directly to the motherboard of a desktop computer eliminates one potential source of data corruption in the process of copying data from the faulty hard drive to a good hard drive.

To remove the hdd from the enclosure may destroy the enclosure since some are not designed to be disassembled. For that reason I held off from suggesting this until the other options had been tried.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Clydesdale™

Clydesdale™
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:14 AM

Is this hdd recognized in My Computer or Disk Management?

Have you tried a different USB port, or another cable?

Have you tried accessing this hdd from another computer?

None of those work. The XHD does not even get warm but I do hear a light squeeshing noise inside when I put my ear to it.

Is there a way to retrieve the data?

Have a read through the excellent information in the following link:
DjLizard's data recovery guide

To remove the hdd from the enclosure may destroy the enclosure since some are not designed to be disassembled. For that reason I held off from suggesting this until the other options had been tried.

I will look into all of these options; thank you for the suggestions. I will reply if I retrieve any data.

DAMN IT.... 500 gigs of data lost. All of my company stuff gone. Now I have to buy 2 HD, one to back up the other back up. That's what it boils down to. :thumbsup:

Clydesdale™

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

One of the things that I like to suggest is to back up your important data with two different type of media. An external hdd with software that will automatically update is my first choice in situation where the computer is dedicated to a specific application. The second means of backing up data I suggest is either CDs or DVDs. If good media is used, and it is stored properly it will last for about a decade.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

If this isn't a mechanical failure, there is a program that you might be interested in using to try to retrieve your data. It is Partion Find & Mount.

#9 DapperDan

DapperDan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:06 PM

A hard drive died on me once - I think it was a mechanical failure of some kind, and a local computer repair place rescued my data onto a thumb drive for me. They said data rescue was sometimes possible and sometimes not, depending on exactly what had happened with the hard drive. I think they told me that if the data is still intact on the drive it can be rescued, but not if the data was corrupted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users