Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti Virus Scanning E-mail ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

When I receive an e-mail and open it and find out the attachment is another email,

and opening it, . .I have noticed that the AV scan has not scanned it a left the

message that it has been scanned. I am guessing it has not been scanned correct, . .

Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering, like this particular one is a somewhat religious

painting of angels, and it is also a chain letter, asking me to send it to twenty people, .

Since it isn't scanned, I am curious, could the anti-virus scan if it did scan detect the

kind of thing that might report back to someone, . . the email addresses

I have mailed it to.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Yes, those type of emails are called chain letters. They are used to create a hoax about some false virus. They are also used for email addresses harvesting. You should not open or follow directions of the message.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_letter

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:20 PM

OK, . . but if it is an active letter that performs some type of function like harvesting addresses and such, do you have any idea what or where that content is hidden or how it works, or even if it can be detected ?

In any case in case you don't thanks for your reply, it was enlightening

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:38 AM

Most of the chain letters say : send a copy to all your friends(or at least 10, 20 or more people etc.) including the one you received from. Which means each time, someone sends a copy, there is a high probability that the original person gets one too through the backward chain. That person then can find out new email addresses from the CC field of the email. This works great if you just forward such emails.

Simple solution for chain letters is just delete them and don't forward them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users