Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp has limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nolove4mypc

nolove4mypc

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

ok, here we go:
i have a Dell inspirion running windows xp pro connected to a motorola modem via ethernet. Status is LAC is connected Speed 100.0 mbps
ip address: 192.168.0.1
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway:(blank)
DNS: (blank)
WINS: (blank)
i tried to ipconfig/renew & it says "operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation"

ok browsing the forums I tried all of this with no success :

Make sure, your computer is set to obtain IP address automatically.
1. Go Start>Settings>Control Panel (Vista/7 users: Start>Control Panel)
2. Double click Network Connections (Vista/7 users: Network and Sharing Center)
3. Vista/7 users - From the list of tasks on the left, click Manage network connections.
4. For a wired network connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.
For a wireless network connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then select Properties.
5. From the General tab (Vista/7 users: Networking tab), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), make sure it is checked, and then click Properties
6. Click Obtain an IP Address Automatically, and then click OK.

If that doesn't work...
Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 1 minute. At the same time disconnect ethernet cable as well.
Reconnect everything.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
net stop "dns client"
net start "dns client"

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK (in Vista, while holding CTRL, and SHIFT, press Enter).

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network...inSockFix.shtml (doesn't work in Vista)
Restart computer, and check again.

If that doesn't work...
Download Dial-A-Fix (DAF) (doesn't work in Vista):
http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix#...2C_and_articles

Have XP CD available in case DAF needs a file. Likely not!

Check all boxes on the screen (clear any restrictions if it shows any)
Then click GO!

When the entire page is finished click the HammerHead at bottom to go to the second DAF page.

Here, one at a time, do the below:

Reinstall BITS
Reinstall Windows Firewall
Repair Permissions
Reset networking

Watch for any File not found or other errors and make note as this may lead to the fix!

Restart computer.

:flowers:

still nothing!! please help!

Not sure if anyone is reading anymore but I'll add this:
I called AT&T tech support and we determined that it wasn't my modem, however, we're were not able to ping my ip address.
note: a while back we tried to network our pc (vista) and our laptop (xp) wireless but apparently they dont like each other and it turned into so much work, we gave up and returned the wireless router and wireless NETGEAR card and just went back to using our pc on ethernet. Now that our pc has given out on us, we are trying to use the laptop via ethernet. Did the networking attempt somehow prevent us from using ethernet? we also upgraded the memory.

is is hopeless? :trumpet: :thumbsup: just give it to me straight! lol

Edited by boopme, 04 October 2010 - 10:00 PM.
Moved from Web Mail to Networking ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,725 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

I have merged your posts, the 4 replies make it look as if you are receiving help. I am hoping this helps..
Let me know if you have XP service pack 2 ore 3 installed... I will then edit your post and delete these so it has 0 replies.
A link to review.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892896
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Wired68

Wired68

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:22 AM

Besides what your ISP may have told you, this still sounds like the problem resides in the modem. Most modems are setup as DHCP servers offering either the public IP address provided by the ISP or a private IP provided by the modem itself when acting as a router as well. If the dhcp in the modem is not working, then your PC will not be able to pickup as IP automatically.

First I would locate a reset button on the modem and hold it down for 10 sec (or however the manual or your ISP tells you) to reset it back to factory settings. Next from a command prompt window, type ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew. Then type ipconfig /all to see if you have an IP AND a default gateway yet. If you do have a default gateway, try to ping it now to see if responds. If successful try to ping 4.2.2.2 to see if you now have internet connectivity. If you cannot ping this, follow the instructions given with the modem to access the modem's configuration, which generally is by typing the default gateway IP into your browser, with either a standard default password or one on the bottom of the modem. From here you will be able to see if the modem itself is even connecting the internet. If it does not, then either your line is bad or the modem is bad or mis-configured still. If it is connected but your PC is not (remember to use the ping 4.2.2.2 test to avoid possible dns issues), then chances are the modem is bad or mis-configured and you should try another PC if possible to verify it is not your PC. Then you can better take your case to the ISP.

If your computer still can not obtain an IP even after the full factory reset on the modem and an ipconfig /release & /renew on your PC, if would try connecting another PC to the modem just to verify if it is not your PC, and if this still fails, now you have more proof to your ISP that they gave you a bad modem and they need to replace it.

From the tests you say you've already done and the issue at hand when directly connecting to the modem, chances are it either is a bad or mis-configured modem which your ISP shouldn't have a problem replacing since probably 40% the units they give out are bad anyway. If still could be something on your PC if your not able to test with another PC or laptop, but I'd check the modem out first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users