Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a little help editing vbs script to backup event logs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stupac

stupac

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

Greetings. I'm working on an msdos batch file that I can use to quickly backup a host of diagnostic data on a system automatically. I've been having trouble with the Windows XP event logs though, because you can't back up the .evt files when the service is running otherwise they come out corrupt. I found this vbs script that looks like it would work well in my batch file, but it clears the event logs as well as backs them up. I don't want to clear the event logs, and I'm afraid I don't know beans about vbs. I was hoping somebody might be able to show me how I can edit this script so it won't clear the logs.

Or if somebody has a better idea of how I can backup the event logs, I'm open to that too. I just need to be able to run it on a variety of computers without having to install any software.

Thanks a bunch!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

Replace ClearEventLog with BackupEventLog. Rest of the code should stay same.

#3 stupac

stupac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:28 AM

Awesome, thank you sir! I'll see how that works. I'll post my finished script once its all done, maybe someone else will find it useful too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users