Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SATA connectors for 2nd hard drive on Dell XPS 410

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DapperDan

DapperDan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

I've got a Dell XPS 410. I got a new hard drive a few weeks ago, thinking the old one was bad - it wasn't (the problem was a bad graphics card). Now I have a new hard drive with Windows 7 installed and I want to install the old hard drive (with Vista) as a 2nd drive. I don't care about having 2 operating systems, I just want access to the files on the old hard drive. I'm a little confused about which SATA connectors to use. The current hard drive is in SATA0 and the CD/DVD drive is in SATA1. I've read that the 2nd hard drive should be in SATA1. Should I move the CD/DVD drive to SATA2 so I can put the 2nd hard drive in SATA1, or just leave the CD/DVD drive in SATA1 and put the 2nd hard drive in SATA2? Does it matter which SATA connectors are used for what? The manual says to connect CD/DVD drives to SATA4 and SATA5, starting with SATA4, but that's not where it's at now. I just want to be sure before I hook it up. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:16 PM

SATA connectors don't matter as long as your most important pieces are connected in the first SATA ports, such as your primary HDD in SATA0 2nd HDD in SATA1.. ect. Put the 2nd HD in the SATA1 port, and move the CD/DVD to SATA 2. SATA ports work by priority.

#3 MSOChristian

MSOChristian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

Hello, DapperDan
How did you make out with your sata connections, did it work out for you ?
I will be attempting to install an Identical HD, running ubuntu 11.10 on the original and
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit OEM on the new one.

Found bleeping computer ( your Post ) looking for advice on where to connect sata connectors too.

Later
MSOChristian

Edited by MSOChristian, 17 January 2012 - 11:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users