Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

virus and boot problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 user5

user5

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

My computer was infected by the Microsoft Security Essentials Alert virus, so I ran AVG and Malwarebytes to get rid of it. It was still popping up when I restarted my computer so I tried starting it in safe mode and ran the two programs again. AVG and Malware didn't find anything and I then noticed that Malwarebytes was not up to date, so I started the computer normally and updated Malwarebytes. When I restarted my computer I chose to do so in safe mode, but it would not complete the boot sequence. I then tried to start in normally and it completes POST and makes it to the Windows logo load screen, but it flashes a blue screen and restarts. The blue screen only pops up for a fraction of a second so I can't see what the err is. The XP installation I have was free from school so all I have is the installation cd which I guess does not have the automated system recovery on it, since it keeps telling me to insert the disk. I tried using the recovery consul, but I don't have much experience with it, so don't really know what to do. Can anyone help? I have a lot of school work on the hard drive so I really don't want to reinstall windows.

Thanks
Sean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blind Faith

Blind Faith

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hello! smile.gif

I am Blind Faith or Elle( it's easier to remember, I think ) and I will help you with your malware related problems.
As you can see I am still a trainee and that means my work is revised by a coach.
Therefore, it will take a bit longer for me to reply.
So don't be impatient because I won't leave your case suspended in the air,waiting forever.

NOTE: Do not make any type of changes to your system during the cleaning process.The steps you are following are based on strict information from your system.So changes which I did not give instructions for are not recommended.

I will need some time to research the files on your system so please click the Options button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you should choose email notifications to know when I replied.

Remember to check your topic for new replies.

Probably, it will take a couple of days until the next reply but after that everything will go faster.

Also please let me know if you still need help after you have read this.

Elle

Can you hear it?It's all around!

Tomar ki manè acchè?
Yadi thakè, tahalè
Ki kshama kartè paro
?

If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM.

Posted Image

#3 user5

user5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

I got the stop message from the blue scree. It's stop 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0x8a891ab3, 0xb852fb98, 0xb852f894). I also found the ultimate boot cd and have run memory and hard drive test, which all seem to be in tact. I thought it may be something with the boot.ini file, but I think the hard drive smart test would have found it.

#4 Blind Faith

Blind Faith

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Hello,
  • Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

• When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

• A command prompt will open please type the following:
CHKDSK /r

Pay attention to the spaces between letters!

* After you have typed the chkdsk command press Enter and allow the utility to complete.
    * When it has finished type Exit and press Enter
    * Windows will reboot.
    * Are you able to boot into normal Windows now?

Elle
Can you hear it?It's all around!

Tomar ki manè acchè?
Yadi thakè, tahalè
Ki kshama kartè paro
?

If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM.

Posted Image

#5 kahdah

kahdah

• Security Colleague
  • 11,138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with address of this thread. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Please do not pm for help, post it in the forums instead.

If I am helping you and have not responded for 48 hours please send me a pm as I don't always get notifications.

My help is always free, however, if you would like to make a donation to me for the help I have provided please click here Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users