Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad RAM Benchmark

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 90awdturbo

90awdturbo

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

The other day I decided to benchmark my Gskill 1066MHz RAM's bandwidth with Sandra and got a result of 5.7GB/s. That seems really slow to me, almost like its not running in dual channel? The two mem chips are properly installed on my board for dual channel and CPU-z even says there running in it. Anybody know any settings in the BIOS or something that would be creating this poor benchmark?
"Your biggest critics are your best friends" -Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Can you please post your computers make and model number so that we have an idea of what your computer's BIOS settings might be and what we can offer for changes to it for improved performance?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

My current specs are... Intel E5200 @3.7GHz, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, Gskill 4GB 1066MHz, Sapphire HD 4850, Samsung Spin 500GB X3 RAID 0, Corsair TX 750W. Thank you for looking into this!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have downloaded your Asus P5Q Pro Turbo owners manual.

I am looking through the pages related to your RAM, you do have DDR2 memory modules installed correct?

I am also looking through chapter 3 section 3.5 for the BIOS setup settings for your computer's Ai Tweaker settings for overclocking.

You can use the GREEN button in this web site to auto-detect your motherboard and its associated available downloads, or do so manually, the Asus web site does not allow direct links, so you have to do it manually at your end.

http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 October 2010 - 08:21 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

I am just curious if you have this motherboard set to defaults or if you have enabled any of the over-clocking features in your Ai Tweaker Menu?

Most of the default settings are either AUTO or DISABLED, have you made any changes to this section of your computers BIOS?

Bruce.

#6 90awdturbo

90awdturbo
  • Topic Starter

• Validating
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

I haven't made any changes to the OCing settings. Everything would still be at AUTO or DISABLED.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

Okay, I seriously am NOT familiar with Sandra, I do not know what it is for that matter, so I can not advise you on this program.

I can only offer advice on programs I have personally test ran on one of my own systems, since this is the case, I can not suggest anything based the 5.7 GBs you posted above.

What does CPU-z reflect?

I am familiar with CPU-z, you said CPU-z says your running dual channel is this correct? (I just want clairity on this)

Have you tried benchmarking your computer with 3DMark06?

If not I would try 3DMark06, there is a FREE version of it available here.

3dMark06 http://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/3dmark06/introduction/

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users