Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could use a quick review

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JEK23

JEK23

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

A friend asked me to build him a computer for under $800. It will be used for general web browsing and online flash games as well as some word processing and such. This is what I was thinking:

Case - $109.99

MOBO - 109.99

CPU - 159.99

RAM - 149.99

SSD - 109.99 after MIR. I'm not sure if this is really worth it, but I was just thinking about using this as an OS and program files drive.

Storage Drive - 89.99

DVD Burner - 16.99

After shipping total - $797.60

Am I overlooking anything? Any other suggestions? Is this a foolish setup? Thanks for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:43 PM

just imo an ssd is not worth it if all he is doing is work and web-browsing...and if u dont have an os yet thats about another $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-754-_-Product

also i would only go 4gb of ram to save money unless he is going to game big time..89gb is overkill for web-browsing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-190-_-Product

or just 1 4gb stick

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...1-310-_-Product

also unless he is going to be able to use all 4 cores u could do fine with a dual core processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103844

hope this helps!

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

I don't see a video card.

#4 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

if he is going to use it the motherboard had on board video as a hd radeon 4200

#5 JEK23

JEK23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for your advice. Once I posted I realized that I had omitted an OS. I am going to get rid of the SSD. I was planning on keeping the two sticks of ram and just dropping it to 4 GB total. But I was thinking about possibly just going with a single 4 GB stick. I was wondering though... Having two discrete sticks of ram will allow it to operate in dual channel mode right? Will that be much of a performance boost over a single stick? Thanks again.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

In benchmarks two sticks would show better performance, but in day-to-day usage, you will not notice a difference with just a single 4GB stick of RAM. I also suggest a newer motherboard with an AMD 8-series chipset, like the GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H AM3 AMD 880G. It's a bit less expensive after the rebate and has a slightly better on-board GPU. If you are not going to be doing any gaming, I suggest switching out the CPU for one a little less powerful like the quad core AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz. If you want to save a little more cash but want something a bit more powerful than a dual core CPU, the AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz would also work.

3939.png

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:32 AM

You posted that you will be doing some gaming. You might not be happy not using a video card for gaming. I can't tell you what will make you happy but suggest a little more research on the need of a video card for gaming.

#8 JEK23

JEK23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thank you all for the replies. That Gigabyte board does look a little better overall. I think I'm going to stick with the Phenom. The build is still under $700. But I'm going to check and see if he would rather go with the Athlon anyway. The gaming I think he will be doing is online (flash) type gaming. Nothing crazy. Thanks again guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users