Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Evo N610C notebook display goes black

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bill Pierce

Bill Pierce

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:35 AM

I admit it: I'm a cheapskate. A chance to buy an older (2005) Compaq Evo N610C notebook at a flea market for $50 was too good to pass up. Of course it wasn't quite in working order. The problem is that the display works when the computer is first turned on, but goes black after a varying amount of time. If the machine is cold, it will work for up to an hour. If it is warm and the computer is restarted, it will work for a few minutes. That leads me to think this is a thermal issue. For now, I have the computer connected to an external monitor, which works without problem, but I'm wondering if there is a way I might attempt to repair the display. In another life (quite a few years ago) I was an electronics technician, so I'm not totally ignorant about these things. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am offering you a web site that has various techniques for various laptops, I did not see your specific laptop included in the list of laptops, but sometimes a reference to one Compaq laptop may be helpful for another. Scroll down each page and examine each image these have directions and solutions that may be helpful to you.

This web site page has a PREVIOUS ENTRIES back button located near the bottom of each page, look for it and click on it and another list of laptops will be listed along with various types of repairs, just scroll down the page until you find something that might be of some assistance to you.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/category/3-compaq-hp-laptops/

I did try a search of your model number at the above mentioned site and it came up with no results, which could very well mean no one has added your Evo N610C to the site as of yet.

Here is a link to Hewlett Packard's web site for your laptop. http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...p;submit=Go%20

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ectID=c00035844

Also you may find satisfactory results if you use a can of compressed air and blow out the laptop using the plastic straw included with the can of compressed air, pointing it into any air vents or openings you can find, try to concentrate it in the areas of the video processor and CPU.

If this fails to resolve the issue, you may have to open the laptop case, to gain better access to the internal components.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 October 2010 - 01:49 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users