Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slipstreaming a Gateway XP operating system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

When I run sfc /scannow I notice that it ask for the cd. When I place the cd in the computer is says "wrong system disc". I just reformatted the hard drive and I have all the updates on the computer, including SP3. On the disc I received from Gateway it says the disc is an (Gateway operating system windows XP Home Edition). I am interested in trying to slipstream this cd if possible. They say a OEM xp cd cannot be slipstreamed. I don't see anywhere on the disc where it say it is an OEM. At the top of the disc It says GATEWAY. Below Gateway it says, Operating System Windows XP Home Edition. Would this be an OEM xp disc, or not? If it is an OEM cd I probably will not be able to slipstream it according to what I have read on this site. If I am unable to slipstream this disc, is there any place where a person can buy an older xp cd disc with SP3 installed? I do not want to install it on my system, I just want it so I can obtain the files when I do the sfc /scannow. I do not know of anyone in my area that has this disc. Just in case some one ask why I ran SFC, this is the reason. I use the commercial MSN Premium for my e-mail. Of course this come with MSN Explorer. When I go to a link in my e-mail and try to print something MSN Explorer will freeze, not the computer, just MSN Explorer. I can print fine off of IE. When I reinstalled my operating system, due to a nasty virus, I noticed I had a hard time of getting the cd-rom drive to accept the cd. Two or three times while loading xp back on my computer I noticed some error messages which I ignored and continued on with the installation. After the installation I obtained a dry cd-rom drive disc and cleaned the drive. I should have cleaned the cd-rom drive before installing the disc, but I was not aware what was causing it at the time. Since cleaning the cd-rom drive, it is working great now and will accept the disc every time I insert it. What I am thinking is due to the drive being dirty it may have been skipped a few of the files along the way. Is this possible? I am hoping to get a copy of xp with sp3 installed, and running SFC /scannow. Thanks.

By the way, this Gateway computer is 6 1/2 years old.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

OEM is interpreted to mean...Gateway, eMachines, Lenovo, et alia...anyone who manufactures/retails computer systems.

By definition...those are Original Equipment Manufacturers of computer systems.

They are responsible for support of the systems they sell and have chosen to issue recovery/restore disks...and create recovery/restore partitions...on some of their products.

Any guidance from Microsoft about installing or repairing Windows...always is based on the premise that the user has a MS-issued CD. The instructions for installing/repairing issued by Microsoft...cannot necessarily be applied (as they are written) to a system where the user does not have a MS-issued CD.

Another curveball is that an OEM system may not have the same boot setup as a system which has been self/custom-built and for which the user has a MS XP CD. To try to implement MS guidance for certain repairs...on OEM systems...may result in the system losing some capability implemented by the OEM.

Hence, you will see certain repair procedures which specifically state that they are not to be implemented/attempted on OEM systems. A standard example of one would be attempting to use the fixmbr command.

So, that warning exists to protect your system and your ability to use it.

Louis

#3 wayne937

wayne937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

Thanks Louis. I appreciate the information.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Easily done :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users