Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help turning of mccafee virus scan in XP security center

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jd0812

jd0812

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

Hi

I need help with turning off the Mcafee virusscan that's part of Microsoft security center. I have been told to run combofix by ESET and I have tried turning off all virus protection but I don't see any way to turn the Mcafee and I get a message from combofix to turn it off before running combofix.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,243 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

If someone at the Eset website...is instructing you on a malware situation...then you probably need to continue that instruction/process there.

If you are saying anything other than that...please clarify what you mean...and someone will try to suggest/advise.

Louis

#3 jd0812

jd0812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

ESet told me to get the combofix program from bleepingcomputer.com and run the program and send them the results so they can advise on my problem. When I try to run the program it instructs me to turn off the mcafee virusscan program which is part of the microsoft security center but I don't see anywhere to turn it off. Hope that clarifies the situation

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

McAfee is not port of Microsoft Security Center, MSC is reporting that you have active virus scanning software installed. If you had another virus scanner installer MSC would also report that. The information that Eset is telling you is wrong.

With that said, what are you trying to do?

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

I think jd0812 may be refering to the AV engine warnings that combofix throws up when you try to execute it with the engine in memory. Maybe both McAffe and Microsoft are memory resident and it's complaining about both.

#6 jd0812

jd0812
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Sorry for the confusion. Let me try to clarify. I have been running ESET security for the past two year. Previously I did have Mcafee installed(it came on my DELL) but had removed the programs when I converted to ESET. I had some virus issues and submitted the problems to ESET support. Their support told me to download the combofix program from here(which I did). I followed the instructions(or so I thought) about turning off all virus protection and firewalls before running. When I started combofix I received an error message saying mcafee virusscan still running and if I continued I could have disasterous results. I knew I had turned of ESET so I looked at the Microsoft security center in the control panel to see if I missed anything. I saw that the virus protection icon still showed on and when you click the drop down box if says Mcafee viruscan still running. I thought it was part of MS security but I guess not. Any suggestions?

#7 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:46 PM

Follow the instruction here about using McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool to finish removing the McAfee VirusScan product from your XP based PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users