Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System factory restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 samvimes

samvimes

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

I have just ordered a new computer and I was wondering whether it would be safe to give away my old one complete with hard drive if I were to carry out a complete factory restore on it or whether it was still possible to retrieve old data from it despite the restoration. If anyone can shed some light on this topic I would be grateful. If the restore is not enough to keep it safe is there another way to achieve this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,696 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:12 AM

Unless the new owner works for FBI and has an access to some special recovery tools, you should be fine with restoring the computer to factory settings.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:21 AM

There are actually plenty of free recovery tools that people can use to get personal information from a used computer even after it's formatted. One is Mini Tool Power Data Recovery.

If I were you, I would look into Darik's Boot And Nuke

#4 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:24 PM

The answer is no, it wouldn't be "safe" to give your PC away. Even after a format. The data needs to be overwritten at least once.

My advice would be take the data you need, put it on an external HDD. Reset to factory settings.

After resetting to factory settings. Use Clonezilla

To clone your HDD, simply using DBAN, will wipe out EVERYTHING.

If you want your PC to be sold with the OS it came with, you will need to use Clonezilla first. Unless of course you have recovery CD's already.

Be sure you have before running DBAN!

If you'd like any help with it, let me know. :thumbsup:

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#5 samvimes

samvimes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the quick replies! I already have everything I want to save on flash drives but I do not have a recovery CD. The computer has a hard drive partition for factory restore (or so I am led to believe) as it is a Dell. The potential recipient has never worked for the FBI or even the CIA but I would be put out if my bank details entered the public domain. I am interested in this clonezilla and dban route, would I need a separate media to copy OS data onto and if so, would a dvdr fit the bill?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users