Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ICONS IN TASKBAR MENU

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stephen31

stephen31

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:20 AM

when i go the taskbar manager and click always hide on some of the icons i dont want to see, they still show up in the taskbar why? and also it shows icons in past items that i no longer have installed on my comp like avg, stopzilla, how do i remove them?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:17 AM

Can you post a screen shot and show us what you mean?

#3 stephen31

stephen31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

Attached File  untitled.JPG   163.4KB   6 downloadsif u can see items are always off but still seen in taskbar, bottom right how do i remove items no longer installed ie, avg, windows defender,spyware protection

Attached Files

Edited by stephen31, 02 October 2010 - 07:05 AM.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:16 AM

I see you use Avast the same as me. I'm assuming you uninstalled AVG before you installed Avast? Don't think that having 2 virus checkers installed you will be protected twice, they will conflict with each other.

If you did uninstall AVG then there is something in the registry that calling it. Now I can't remember the exact folder name in Program Files that AVG went into when I used AVG but see if it still there? If you've uninstalled it then delete it.

Your using CCleaner look in Tools - Startup to see if anything is listed to AVG/Folder if so disabled it do a restart and see if it still there. If it isn't then go back to CCleaner and delete it. You may have a load more apps that you don't use listed in there disable those as well.

Every app that shows in the Systray (by the clock) is using resources if you don't need them disable them.

I don't use stopzilla so I can't advise you on that. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 stephen31

stephen31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

yes i did uninstall avg first, i have deleted all files as well, it does not show up under ccleaner, and my security says i only have one av, i ran combfix on this site as was instructed and also ran something that removed avg from security center, it was saying i had more than one but, i dont have avg,or stopzilla,or a few others that are there.

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

So if I understand your issue, you are concerned that there are settings for your system tray icons left over in you Customize Notifications window even after you uninstalled the program?

These settings are not part of the program itself but are Windows Explorer settings. When Windows Explorer detects a new task creating an icon in the system tray, it automatically adds it to this list so you can customize the dispay of icons in your system tray.

If you look the icons will be split into Past Icons and Current Icons. The Past Icons are ones that were displayed at some point in the past, but are not currently being displayed by any task.

When you uninstall a program, Windows does not remove this configuration data.

There's no simple way to remove an item from the Past Items list, but you can clear the custom settings completely and start over again. As Windows will add tasks to this list again as they are added to the System Tray.

This procedure involves editing the registry.

Modifying the registry can be dangerous (and can render your system unbootable) so it's advisable that you make a backup of the registry before proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry

1. Go Here and download ERUNT
(ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed)
2. Install ERUNT by following the prompts
(use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
3. Start ERUNT
(either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
4. Choose a location for the backup
(the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable)
5. Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
6. Press OK
7. Press YES to create the folder.

Registry Modifications
For more information about modifying the registry, see this Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/256986

Now with that being said, in the key "HKEY_ CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify" there are two binary values, IconStreams and PastIconStream.

To remove your Past Items cache, you can remove these two values and force terminate explorer.exe. Restart explorer.exe and it will re-read the data from the registry. If you do not restart explorer.exe, these values will be rewritten from memory upon user logoff.

Note: Execution of the attatched PurgePastItems.bat file will do all these steps for you. This will remove all Past Items from your list. As items show up in your system tray in the future they will be added to your list and show up in Past Items when they aren't currently being displayed in the system tray.

Hope this helps.

Note: PurgePastItems.bat contains:
@Echo off
Echo Deleting registry entries...
Echo Y|REG delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify /v IconStreams
Echo Y|REG delete HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNotify /v PastIconStream
Echo Stopping explorer.exe...
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
Echo Starting explorer.exe...
%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe
Echo Processing complete.

Attached Files

#7 stephen31

stephen31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

so in simple terms its not hurting anything, right. i just dont want to see icons in the task bar from the start menu that i dont use i have clicked always hide but they still show up some time, i dont know. but if its not hurting anything then i will just deal with it being annoying. lol thanks

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:31 PM

Yeah, it's not hurting anything. Windows just remembers your settings in case you want to reinstall the program, then you don't have to reconfigure the system tray again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users