Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drives disappear when replacing third hard drive in resurrected pc.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Expert Novice

Expert Novice

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:16 AM

Hi all,

So, after successfully resurrecting my old pc by fitting a replacement PSU I decided I would replace the third drive which I had removed to use in my other machine.

After replacing the drive in the resurrected machine I find none of the drives present are recognised. There are two other hard drives and a CD ROM which all work fine until I connect this third drive. The third drive also worked fine in my other machine. The third drive also works fine if I remove the second drive from the resurrected machine and install the third in its place. If I then go on to try installing the second drive on the spare connector everything disappears again.

The primary (boot) drive is on the end connector of one ribbon, the one furthest from the mobo with the second drive being connected to the middle connector on the same ribbon. The CD ROM is connected to the end connector on the second ribbon with the middle connector on this ribbon being the spare onto which I'm trying to connect the third drive. The fact that drives one and two work by themselves suggest to me they are in the correct place so it must be the adding of the third which is causing the problem. All three used to work together just fine but something seems to have changed.

I thought maybe I was mixing 2 and 3 up and connecting them to the opposite connectors and so confusing the machine but I get the same result wherever I connect them. Both drives 2 and 3 work when connected to the middle connector next to drive 1 but connecting the spare drive, be it 2 or 3 to the last spare connector on the 2nd ribbon causes all the others to disappear.

Is it possible that running the machine with only the two drives has disabled the third and I need to re enable it somewhere? I have messed around with this for ages trying to figure out what is going on and tried googling and searching on here but have been unable to find any solution so I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

System details are Windows XP Pro, Pentium 4 1.8 GHZ, Quntumn Designs Limited PLATINIX-2 V1.XX board, 1.25GB RAM, Boot drive is SAMSUNG SV1021D 10.2 GB, other drives are Maxtor diamondmax plus 9 80GB ATA/133, WDC WD400EB-00CPF0 40.02 GB. All jumpers are in the same positions they were before this problem started.

Thanks for reading. Hope you can help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

The obvious things I would look at...jumper settings, different cable, possible PSU issue.

"Last spare connector" doesn't mean much to me...is the 3d drive connected to the end connector? If not, what is on the end connector?

I would temporarily remove the optical drive from the equation...connect two drives to one cable, connect the other hard drive to the end connector of the other IDE cable...and then see if the BIOS properly reflects the drives.

If not, then I would remove the 3d drive, connect the optical drive...and see if the BIOS recognizes the two hard drives and optical drive properly.

Your BIOS settings should reflect automatic redetection of any drives installed.

Louis

#3 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

Hi Louis, thanks for your response.

Sorry if I didn't make myself entirely clear... I am trying to install the third drive on the secondary (middle) connector of the secondary IDE cable. The CD ROM is connected to the end connector.

The jumper settings have not been changed since I previously used to three drives together so I don't think there's anything wrong there.

I have a cable I can move temporarily from my other machine so I'll try that.

I will try removing the CD ROM and connecting the third drive in its place and let you know what happens. I'm sure I tried this the other day but I wasn't being very systematic and didn't write anything down regarding error messages etc so I'll make sure to take a careful note this time and post back soon.

I'll also try using the other power connector in the second drive and hopefully eliminate the possibility of a PSU issue.

Thanks

David

#4 Expert Novice

Expert Novice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Ok, so I finally managed to get round to having another look at the resurrected machine.

After lots more messing about, swapping cables, drive positions etc and recording the results I was still having no success.
I had got to the point where the only thing left was to swap the ribbon cables position at the mother board end and that did the trick :-) So it looks to me as if the cable I was using with the primary drive was connected to the secondary connector on the board

Not sure how I got them mixed up in the first place but but after removing both cables and reversing their positions on the board the machine will boot and recognise all four drives.

One thing though... Now it's taking forever to get to the desktop screen, like 5 minutes of waiting and watching the blue screen with the windows logo. After the desktop appears everything seems to be working normally it just takes a long time to get there but I guess that's a subject for another thread.

Thanks Louis for pointing me in the right direction

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

Glad you resolved it.

I have no idea what the delay might be...but I would run the chkdsk /r command on the system/boot partition, just to ensure that there are minimum file problems.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

What hard drive is sharing a cable with the cd-rom?

How are they jumpered?

Ma Sl Cs

The hard drive should be on the end and be jumpered Ma or Ma w/ sl present(WD)

The cdrom jumpered slave

I would suggest using a newer ide cable for that setup.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users