Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Shutting Down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ever Learning

Ever Learning

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:48 AM

Hi. This is my first post.

I recently got the idea to split up my Outlook 2003 .pst into separate files to save space, load faster, etc. So, I copied the .pst, renamed the copy, and proceeded to clean out duplicate messages and compacted the files. I wanted the renamed file to be my default.

I then went in and added the new .pst as one to open and also changed which .pst would get my current mail.

After getting out of Outlook and then going back in, the program could not find the .pst it was looking for. The program then shut down after I pointed it to the .pst I wanted it to open. However, Outlook was still showing on the taskbar as running. I could not change back the names of the .pst's because the operating system was indicating that the files were still in use. I tried moving the files, renaming the .pst's back to their original names, repairing Outlook, even reloaded Outlook 2003 from disk after uninstalling all of Office. Since I cannot get Outlook to stay open long enough to change the options or data management details, this problem of program shutdown recurs over and over.

Any suggestions out there? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:13 PM

Your PST File can be up to 20Gigs in size and on a local computer you shouldn't see any ill effects from a PST that size.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Ever Learning

Ever Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:43 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7KiMPyiW39dvpf60gL8sc9V

A couple of other observations. I took out all .pst's from their normal folder, to see if Outlook 2003 would try to create new ones. It did not create a new one, but still shut down right away after displaying all of the messages in the Inbox of the .pst that I wanted to see. At least Outlook did not show up in the taskbar.

I tried another experiment. I placed a .pst named "Outlook" [the standard name] in the folder where the program should look for it, and not only did Outlook shut down from the screen immediately, it left an icon in the taskbar, indicating the program was still running, just not displaying. When I clicked on the icon, it replied with the system message, " Outlook is not responding. If you are using an Exchange Server e-mail account, you can cancel pending server requests by clicking the Outlook icon in the notifications area, and then clicking Cancel Server Request on the shortcut menu." I have no idea where this "notifications area" is, nor do I know what the "shortcut menu" is.

Not sure if this is material to the problem or not, but I stayed connected to the mail server when doing these experiments.

The .pst I want Outlook to default to is 190 MB in size. The other .pst is 283 MB in size.

Edited by Ever Learning, 02 October 2010 - 10:00 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:35 PM

You may have to repair Office 2003 to restore its functionality something you did broke it.

#5 Ever Learning

Ever Learning
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

Thank you.

Came up with another, temporary solution. Opened a new profile, opened Outlook there, then imported the .pst I wanted to retain as my current one. Worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users