Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed New Power Supply but no full power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 novaklone

novaklone

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

So a lightning strike causes my computer to not turn on and I immediately realise its an issue with the power supply.
I replace the power supply to my Dell Dimension 4600 desktop. Now when I press the button the only things that turn on are the PSU Fan, CPU Fan, and my CD drive Light. I tripled checked to make sure all cables and pins are connected to the motherboard and googling the issue didn't help much... How can I restore full power to my PC?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:12 AM

There may be a strong possibility that your motherboard has suffered some damage as well from this lightening strike.

My reasons for saying this includes the possibility that your motherboard may have sustained damage from your connection to the Internet as well.

Since we do not know how this lightening strike made its way to your computer in the first place, it is hard to determine what may have sustained the most damage, the PSU or your Ethernet NIC or your modem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:50 PM

Well the strike also destroyed my wireless router which doesn't work any more. I plug that that thing in and only 2 lights come on. So... I don't even know what to ask any more.... shouldn't the motherboard be fine since the fans work? and since the router doesn't work could it be the NIC card?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

Your fans are working because they are being powered by the power supply, which you said you replaced.

There is a circuit which is on the motherboard that the power button on the computer case activates to send a signal to the power supply, that activates the cooling fans, this circuit allows 12 Volts from the power supply to power up the cooling fans.

There are voltage sensitive components located through out the motherboard, that have an association with earth ground and chassis ground. It is through this circuit that electronic parts can be damaged from a high voltage such as lightening.

Parts such as diodes, integrated circuit chips (IC chips), electrolytic capacitors, voltage regulators and transistors can be damaged if voltage higher than their rating passes through them, thus burning open the circuits built into them.

If your Ethernet NIC is built into the motherboard and has sustained damage, your whole motherboard would have to be replaced. If even in the event, you were able to replace the chip, the chances are very good there are other components on the motherboard which have also sustained damage as well.

To diagnose your motherboard for failure, you would need the proper test equipment along with flow charts and circuit voltage charts to do a successful analysis, then have the ability of replacing surface mount components, which require the use of soldering tools used for micro circuitry repair. The use of a microscope or electron microscope is needed in some cases.

This is why todays electronics are known as disposable devices. The cost of repair far exceeds the price of a new one.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:47 AM

I have never known of a computer hit by lighting to live. Once a few parts have been replaced to get it to work in a short time it dies again. Check with your insurance company and see if a full replacement is covered.

#6 novaklone

novaklone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2010 - 07:02 PM

no insurance. ill just have to replace the board.... off to amazon i go. Thanks for the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users