Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything Is Sloooowww

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:14 PM

i've done it all,defragged,ccleaner,ad-ware,tune-up 2006 just about everything i can do and my comp is really really slow,for example when i minimize a window it takes like 25 seconds to fully minimize or when im viewing webpages such as right now im on this one and on a football one doin my fantasy football line up.
I'll click the taskbar to switch over to the football page and it will freeze up for a bit,or when i got to maximize a page it opens quickly but all i get is a white screen for like 2 minutes then it returns to normal.Any help would be appreciated.Also i am virus free i just ran one about 30 minutes ago, and i reformatted and re-installed windows not even a month ago.what could be the problem...also i have like 70% free space so its not like my harddrive is used up either.Thanks

Edited by splackavellie_ca, 14 November 2005 - 06:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:17 PM

Have you considered that maybe your processor is to slow? or that you dont have enough ram? Maybe its time to upgrade.

Do you know how fast your processor is and hwo much ram you have?

#3 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:57 PM

Pentium 4 CPU 2.20GHz

2.19GHz 128 MB of RAM

this has never happened before just as of late,it use to run smoothly.

#4 Professional

Professional

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:06 PM

Have done a HJT Scan? 128MB RAM is pretty low for now-a-days and maybe you just need to unistall some unwanted programs?
Posted Image

#5 splackavellie_ca

splackavellie_ca
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:56 PM

HJT scan? please elaborate as im kinda new to computers and yeah i know 128 is pretty low but its all i can afford right now plus its a Dell...lol

#6 IsMe

IsMe

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:38 PM

Try *manually* cleaning out the Temp, Cookies, and Temporary Internet Files folders.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 01:57 PM

You may have too many programs running at startup or running in the background. Some of these
programs are not needed to run at startup and disabling them can save resources and improve performance.

Go to Start > Run and type: msconfig
Click "OK" or press "ENTER" and the System Configuration Utility will open.
Go to the Startup Tab, and see what programs are listed.

If you are unsure what any of them are or if they are safe to disable, then search the startup database located here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/

MSCONFIG is a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs but it does not allow you to completely remove an entry from the list. To do this you need a startup manager like:

STARTER v5.6.1.45: http://members.lycos.co.uk/codestuff/products_starter.html
Double-click starter.exe to run or extract the zipped version to its own folder.

Autoruns: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Autoruns.html

HJT scan? please elaborate

HijackThis [HJT] is an advanced tool that requires advanced knowledge about the Windows Operating System. HJT scans certain areas of your system and then creates a log to help diagnose the presence of undetected malware in known hiding places. It then relies on experts to interpret the log - the areas of the registry that it displays and all running processes in Task Manager at the time the log was created in order to evaluate what to fix. Most of the log entries are needed to run a computer and removing the incorrect ones can damage your system.

If you think you are infected with spyware and need to scan/post a HJT log, then follow the directions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users