Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer types "v"s on its own - topic with malware logs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 JayCanney

JayCanney

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:22 PM

My computer has gone into a strange habit of repeatedly typing the "v" key on its own. (like if I run Notepad it types vvvvvvv ) I looked under the v key and removed what dust was there, but the "vs" continue. This happens when I am not pressing any key on the keyboard.

I use Windows Vista as my operating system and have kept it up to date (my internet service provider requires the latest Norton Antivirus and an up to date OS in order to use the internet service).

I tried pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and nothing comes up. I suspect a piece of (badly coded?) malware may be preventing me from solving the problem.

I already ran SpyBot, AdAware, and SuperAntiSpyware (all installed after the "v" situation started), but they didn't remove the problem ("v"s are still continuing) - i tried safe mode, and the "v"s still continue. I also tried running Malwarebytes in Safe mode, and it found nothing.

This occurred after I tried to install "Super Mario Yoshi Island - The Yoko" from a website, but when running it, it didn't seem to work (the program never started), so as I was trying to uninstall it the "v" thing started to happen. I don't know if it is exactly what caused it, but it's the last thing I remember before the crisis started.

While I ran hijackthis on my own (and Hijackthis was unable to write to the hosts.txt file), I am not posting it here because this isn't the place for those logs. Should I immediately post the related hijackthis log in the correct place, or should I do something first?

I cannot find anything on Google about this, so I am going on here to find out what I should do.
---

The logs from GMER and DDS are in this post, albiet I removed my name from them. (name redacted) is where my real name is.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Thanks thumbup2.gif
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:19 AM

Alright, I am still active. Thank you for your help smile.gif

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

My first thought is that this is a keyboard problem. Malware wouldn't bother forcing your keyboard to type Vs.

Is there a spare keyboard you can plug in to check this?

Posted Image

#5 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE(m0le @ Oct 8 2010, 06:24 PM) View Post
My first thought is that this is a keyboard problem. Malware wouldn't bother forcing your keyboard to type Vs.

Is there a spare keyboard you can plug in to check this?

Yeah, I've got a spare keyboard. Lemme plug it in and test it - I'll report if the problem persists with a keyboard plugged in...

#6 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

Okay, when I plugged in an apple keyboard to my laptop, the "v"s don't happen at all (during the time I tested it). When the keyboard isn't plugged in, the "v"s happen (but it doesn't seem to happen as much as it used to)

For some reason Ctrl-Alt-Delete still doesn't work, but I can bring up the task manager by finding it through the operating system's help menu

Edited by JayCanney, 10 October 2010 - 03:05 PM.

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:27 PM

Check the settings.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. In the "Secure logon" section, select the "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" check box.

As for the keyboard issue, is it Plug and Play? If not, then uninstall and then reinstall the keyboard software. If so go to Device Manager (Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager and navigate to Keyboards and expand to show your keyboard and delete it) now reboot and unplug the keyboard. When you've rebooted Plug the keyboard back in and it will do a reinstall of itself.

Has that helped?
Posted Image

#8 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE(m0le @ Oct 10 2010, 03:27 PM) View Post
Check the settings.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. In the "Secure logon" section, select the "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" check box.

As for the keyboard issue, is it Plug and Play? If not, then uninstall and then reinstall the keyboard software. If so go to Device Manager (Click Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager and navigate to Keyboards and expand to show your keyboard and delete it) now reboot and unplug the keyboard. When you've rebooted Plug the keyboard back in and it will do a reinstall of itself.

Has that helped?

My usual keyboard is the built in laptop keyboard. I'm going to check the settings and look at the Ctrl-Alt-Delete settings.

Since my keyboard is built in, does it change the instructions?

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:51 PM

No, it should still be the same.

Let me know what you find.
Posted Image

#10 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:56 PM

The reinstalling the keyboard driver trick (I uninstalled the PS2 Keyboard driver, then computer rebooted) did not seem to change anything.
----
When I go to Advanced User Accounts (as instructed by the Dell Help feature) to check the ctrl-alt-del at login box
As I check the box...
I got a window from usrmgr (Local Users and Groups)

The window says:
"This computer is running Windows VistaHome Basic
This Snapin may not be used with this version of Windows
To manage accounts for this computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel."
Computer becomes very sluggish

When I try to close the window it talks about MMC being unable to open, how it failed to create an empty document. I'm trying to figure out another way to check the ctrl-alt-del box...

Edited by JayCanney, 13 October 2010 - 06:56 PM.

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:29 PM

It looks like something that our members in another forum might be able to best help you with.

I will keep this topic open for five days. If you need to come back to me after then just PM me.

Posted Image

#12 JayCanney

JayCanney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE(m0le @ Oct 13 2010, 07:29 PM) View Post
It looks like something that our members in another forum might be able to best help you with.

I will keep this topic open for five days. If you need to come back to me after then just PM me.

Thank you
The new thread is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic353552.html - If I need any additional software help I will post on this thread

#13 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users