Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fan problem... or Hard Drive Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:09 PM

Something in my computer makes a very airy-sounding noise. Sometimes it even sounds like something is clicking or stuck inside my computer. I recently opened up my computer and cleaned out a large amount of dust, and the problems still goes on. I have multiple fans inside my computer, and my computer does not feel hot. Until recently I did not get worried, for I asked my computer teacher and she said it may be a hard drive problem. I have not opened my hard drive, and I didn't think it would be a hard drive problem because I've heard the sounds of a failing hard drive. This computer was owned before by my uncle, and even when he had it made this sound but not as bad as it is now. I have not had any other problems with this computer in case of hard drive failure, only the noise. The noise starts only a few seconds after I turn on my computer.
I do not know what hard drive I have, but I am willing to find out to solve this problem. If you need specs or anything, please let me know how to get them and I will post them.
I don't want my hard drive to fail! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

First off, DO NOT OPEN your hard drive!

The noise you hear could be a cooling fan that has a bad bearing and the fan is spinning loosely or wobbling during its rotation.

Check to see if you can isolate the location of the noise while the computer case is open and the computer is running.

It is sometimes suggested using a long handled wooden spoon, with the handle close to your ear and the other end pressed against various hardware such as hard drives, can help you isolate and locate the source of the noise.

Make sure that no wires are coming in contact with cooling fans.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 October 2010 - 06:29 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:31 PM

Okay, I will NOT open my hard drive then.
I'll open my case and listen out whenever I get the chance.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

As odd as the suggestion may seem to use a long handled plastic or wooden spoon to detect where the noise is coming from, it really works.

Auto mechanics use a variation on a stethoscope, like the one the doctor uses to listen to your heart? But the mechanics version has a metal rod at the end of it which they place against a valve cover for instance. With this they can listen to the lifters for abnormalities. The same principal is true with the spoon. If you place the handle end against your hdd and the spoon end against you ear you will hear the noise from inside the hdd much more loudly. So if you put this against the hdd and it makes the noise you are concerned about much louder, then you will know that the hdd is the culprit.

One other thing... If what you hear is like a clicking noise, and it is coming from the hdd, I would suggest going to the manufacturer's website of your hdd and downloading their diagnostic tool to determine the state of health of your hdd. This clicking noise is known as "the click of death".

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

It does sound pretty weird, but I'll try anything to figure out this problem.

Only sometimes it clicks, but it's very faint and I don't think its the 'click of death'.
It sounds more like a fan is broken or something is stuck in it.

I haven't gotten the chance to open it up (my dad is the only one who knows how to open it >->), but I'll try and get to it today.

Right now I can hear the noise but it's a bit quieter then it usually is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users