Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Set Users to Default on Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

My friends grandmother just got a new PC. She wants to donate her old one to charity, but wants her personal information off of it. I got most of her private files off, but the issue is with the admin account. I can delete the other ones, I think, but how do I set it so whoever gets the computer can use it without having her password?

Also, what else should I do when I'm trying to return a computer to factory spec?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:58 PM

The answers depend on the manufacturer and model...and your wishes :thumbsup:.

Restore disks and partitions...are routinely employed by system manufacturers as the means for returning the system to factory conditions. The procedures for using such are usually available at the website of the system manufacturer.

In the event that the system is custom/self-built and the user actually has a Genuine XP CD...simplest thing to do is delete the partition, then install anew, using the XP CD.

As for the system admin account...any other admin account created can replace that, I believe. If I wanted to such, I would simply create a new user account (titled NEW) then delete previous user account (Louis).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s...p/accounts.mspx

Louis

#3 HaterSlayer

HaterSlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Ok I have the recovery disks(it's 3 of them!). Do I just put it in and do what it says?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:03 PM

Have you been to the system manufacturer's website...and read how to employ those disks?

I can't tell you, I'm not the manufacturer and I don't own any systems that employ recovery disks.

If you don't want to look up such info...tell us the manufacturer and model of the system and someone will find the info and post a link to it.

Louis

#5 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:48 PM

You can change and delete windows account passwords using the Control Panel applet "User Accounts" wile logged into any administrator account.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

In all honesty, just reformat the computer install the base set of application and create a user called owner or something more generic and set the password to password and put something in the paperwork to reflect the password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users