Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Laptop boot problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sergeant Fox

Sergeant Fox

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have a friend who lives in another state and I'm trying to help her out with her laptop that is not booting.

What i know. Acer laptop running some version of vista, not sure on the model number. The laptop starts up and goes to a recovery screen saying there is an issue with hardware or software and gives the options of essentially finding and fixing the problem or start windows normally. When selecting either option it goes to a black screen reboots and in a few seconds goes back to the same options. There is no option of starting in safe mode on the screen and i'm not sure how to have her try and start it in safe mode. From what i know the laptop was cold to touch (she keeps a fan on it) so i dont believe it was an overheating issue (will have her try starting it today when she gets home). On top of that i dont think she has a boot disk or vista oem disk either nor does the laptop have a recovery partion.

So is there any additional information you need and what should i have her try first? Thank you for any help i will let you know when she gets home if it starts or not and and will have her try anything you say if it doesnt. Thanks again =)

EDIT: she tried starting it and still the same so no overheating issue

Edited by Sergeant Fox, 01 October 2010 - 03:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

I would tell her to repeatedly hit the F8 key as soon as she turns it on until she sees the safe mode menu. But since it won't even load the login screen, I would try to restore it to a previous date before she had this problem. Here's a nice tutorial on how to restore her computer to a previous date in safe mode.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5643718_run-system...-safe-mode.html

#3 Sergeant Fox

Sergeant Fox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:01 PM

Ok well the laptop will not boot in safe mode and none of the other things will work. pretty much everything that sounded like it would work she tried, restore mode, use last known working settings. None of it worked. So my guess is she needs a boot disk or vista disk?

#4 delbrugge

delbrugge

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

yeahhh

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members