Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Reconnect Laptop to Wireless Network Printer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I don't know if this belongs here or in the networking forum. I put it here because I have a Vista machine identically connected with no problem. Dell Laptop about 6 months old running Win7 Home Premium was connected wirelessly to an HP Photosmart 2610 all in one. The printer is connected by ethernet to Linksys wired router, which is connected to a Linksys Wireless Access Point. Both wireless machines have occasionally lossed their connection to the printer and I have always been able to reset it by running the "add printer" app. Each PC quickly finds the printer and reconnects then I remove the previous installtion of the printer. I usually notice that for some reason the last digit of the ip address of the printer has changed. The Vista machine reconected and prints fine, but the Win7 PC, after finding the printer and clicking next it gets hung up on the "detecting TCP/IP port..." step. Then it asks for additional information. It has never done this before, it has always quickly moved right through this step as the Vista machine has done. If I continue through the steps the printer shows up in devices and printers which indicates "ready" but it will not print.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:50 PM

After posting this topic 3 hours ago without seeing any reply, I continued to attempt to fix this problem. I was finally successful so I am posting this reply to tell anyone who may be attempting to answer my question they can stop spending time and effort. In case anyone has the same problem I'll now describe the solution. The PC has Mcafee Security Suite. I turned off the personal firewall, reinstalled the printer and it worked. When I turned the firewall back on it would not print. I then went into Mcafee Security Center to the Firewal features and under services I clicked restore defaults on the assumption that the default settings included allowing wifi access to a printer, a common need. It worked, problem solved. Thank you to anybody who read about my problem and gave any thought to a solution.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for posting the solution to your issue. It will benefit the community.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users