Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error reading file in D:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 phenominolchild

phenominolchild

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:03 PM

Need help! I'm trying to download a program to my iMac through Parallel Desktop 6. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, and for some reason it won't get past a certain point of installation. I keep getting the same error, "Read error in the file D:(location/file name).exe".... I used an installation CD/DVD that I have, but I'm not sure what could be wrong. It's only a week old iMac, but my friend told me it might be the D: drive itself that's bad, but I had burned a cd/DVD 10 minutes before talking to her, so I'm guessing it's fine? I burned using the Mac OS which burned & read fine, so I'm guessing the problem is in Parallels and/or Windows. Please help! I've been at it for days and I STILL never figured it out...

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 02 October 2010 - 01:52 PM.
Moved from XP to Mac OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phenominolchild

phenominolchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

I guess no one knows?!

#3 davidanders

davidanders

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

You are mixing drive metaphors.
How many partitions are on the Mac side? One partition? Named?
Do you do monthly maintenance on the Mac side? My recommendation is AppleJack.

How many partitions are setup in Parallels 6? (you realize this is a version zero of a very complex application?
Can you view the D: partition? Can you duplicate a file on it? Can you copy from it? Copy to it?
Have you run chkdsk on the partition?
Do you do monthly maintenance on the Windows version? I recommend CCleaner and Defraggler (do they work without errors?).
David Anders
The Computer Guy, Seattle
My Allexperts Stats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users