Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C drive not showing in Disk Managment

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TKDsmith

TKDsmith

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hello,

Recently my computer picked up a rather nasty trojan (listed as TrojanDownloader.win32/unruy.H) and I have not been able to get rid of it, so I decided to reinstall my copy of windows 7, needed to be cleaned up anyway... But when trying to run a custom install windows is unable to locate any hard drive for my system. I checked under disk management and sure enough there is nothing at all listed aside from my CD/DVD drive, and at this point I'm at a complete loss as to how to get the system to recognize the OS hard drive.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

If you supply your computers make and model number that would help us to assist you better.

I would suggest that you first enter your computers BIOS setup utility to see if the hard drive is reflected there.

If you need more information, I can provide that once I know your computers make and model number.

You also need to make sure your data cables are securely connected between your hard drive and the motherboard, sometimes disconnecting the data cable and reconnecting it at both the motherboard end and the hard drive can resolve missing hard drive issues, which are caused by a faulty connection.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 TKDsmith

TKDsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thank you for the quick response,

my computer is a personal build, but the motherboard is a Gigabyte 945p-S3 and the hard drive is a IDE Western Digital C. Blue I believe. I checked all the cables and they appear to all be well seated, I have no difficulty boot the computer and accessing data on the hard drive anyway, it is listed by both the bios and windows explorer, so I believe the connections are not the issue, its just disk management is failing to identify that any hard drive is availibe, as are the setups for both windows vista and windows 7.

Again, thank you for your help!

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:44 AM

C drive not showing in Disk Management

This is a sign of a rootkit in the system.
See the following link: Hard drive not listed in Dev Mgr or disk mgmt

I would suggest that you wipe the hard drive with a utility (bootable CD) such as dban (Darik's Boot and Nuke) or killdisk, both of which are free to use. Then perform a clean install of your Windows operating system.

dban http://www.dban.org/download
killdisk http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Download the ISO image from one of the above mentioned sites and use something like ImgBurn to burn the ISO image to a CD.
ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 TKDsmith

TKDsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:09 AM

Thank you, you have confirmed my fears, I've been trying to find the rootkit with the free-ware removal tools availible but to no avail, that you for the links to the nuking software!

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:21 AM

Thank you, you have confirmed my fears

Pleased to be able to help. Things should hopefully proceed smoothly for you now, with that planned course of action.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 TKDsmith

TKDsmith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:07 AM

Problem solved, though with some added difficulty from poorly compatible hardware and drivers. Things finally work again! :thumbsup: Thank you again for the links.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 05:12 AM

Problem solved ...

Pleased to hear it, and thank you for letting us know.
Best wishes.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 gwtrans

gwtrans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

Here would be the fix. This procedure worked great for us.

The Advanced Cleaning Tool has the ability to run several applications, but it is important that you ONLY run the following processes in the following order:

Repair Network Settings
Download Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool
Download Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware
Download SUPERAntiSpyware
Download ComboFix
Save & Exit

IMPORTANT: Please complete one step at a time and only proceed to the next step if the previous one does not resolve your issue.

Please click or copy/paste the link below to access the Advanced Cleaning Tool and reference the list above when following the instructions:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2493

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

While your input is appreciated Gwtrans. This is a resolved issue. Also please take note of the following regarding the use of ComboFix and part of the instructions taken directly from the Eset link.

ComboFix
ComboFix is an Anti-Malware tool used by advanced malware technicians specifically trained in its use.

Please DO NOT USE COMBOFIX on your own without supervision!!!

We ask that you obey the warnings about using this tool. Why? The warnings are given for a reason and one of them is to inform our members about the consequences that may occur when using ComboFix in an unsupervised environment. Yes, ComboFix is an excellent but powerful tool. I liken it to Acetaminophen (Tylenol). Used correctly, the drug will help with your aches and pains. Used incorrectly, it can destroy your liver and eventually kill you. The same scenario applies to ComboFix. Used in untrained hands this tool can disable your computer and in some cases can make it unbootable. Further, trained helpers prefer to see preliminary scans from other tools like DDS and GMER to check for the presence of rootkits before asking anyone to run Combofix. This is important because some infections can affect the tools we use and identification allows planning a strategy for effective disinfection.

Eset Advanced Malware Cleanup Tool

5. Carefully follow the instructions you received in the email from ESET Customer Care. While using the tool, your computer may restart automatically or you may be prompted to restart your computer. Agree to all prompts and then, if necessary, re-open the Advanced Cleanup Tool (steps 3-4) until you complete all the steps as instructed in the email.

7. Reply to the email from ESET Customer Care and add the AdvancedResults.zip file (located on your Desktop) as an attachment. Please also describe the issue, including any changes you noticed after running the Advanced Cleanup Tool.

The underlined in the Eset quote is mine. Done to point out, that like ComboFix, it is only meant to be used under the instruction of a trained Technician. Improper use could render your machine inoperable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users