Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Photo Manager--Shotwell

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

As many of you already know, Shotwell will replace F-Spot in the next Ubuntu release.
I installed it last night in Ubuntu 10.4. Said goodbye to F-Spot. Took about 5 minutes to install and import pics from F-Spot.
Get the latest release from link below.
http://yorba.org/shotwell/

More comments here: http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2010/09/shotw...-in-ubuntu.html

This article is about Shotwell 0.7.2, the latest release, which is included now on the beta release of Ubuntu Maverick. Here are its most important features:

- import photos from F-Spot or from a folder
- view detailed meta info about photos
- set ratings and tags
- filter images
- preview all images, view photos as slideshow, view in fullscreen mode
- sort photos by title, date or rating
- edit in external image editor
- publish photos to Facebook, Flickr or Picasa Web Albums

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ice2921

ice2921

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

As many of you already know, Shotwell will replace F-Spot in the next Ubuntu release.
I installed it last night in Ubuntu 10.4. Said goodbye to F-Spot. Took about 5 minutes to install and import pics from F-Spot.
Get the latest release from link below.
http://yorba.org/shotwell/

More comments here: http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2010/09/shotw...-in-ubuntu.html

This article is about Shotwell 0.7.2, the latest release, which is included now on the beta release of Ubuntu Maverick. Here are its most important features:

- import photos from F-Spot or from a folder
- view detailed meta info about photos
- set ratings and tags
- filter images
- preview all images, view photos as slideshow, view in fullscreen mode
- sort photos by title, date or rating
- edit in external image editor
- publish photos to Facebook, Flickr or Picasa Web Albums

And your verdict is?

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,891 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

I like it. It's snappier. It's GUI is better. So far, I haven't had some of the problems
I had with F-Spot. Whether or not it was F-Spot or some other's glitches, I wouldn't know.
Looks like the Ubuntu developers like it better, too. They are replacing F-Spot with Shotwell as the
default program in the next release later this month.

A reminder, to get the latest version and install commands, use the links above. Don't use the Software Center as
it will install an older version of Shotwell. I've decided I won't be upgrading my 10.4 to 10.10. Gonna stick with
the LTS which suits me just fine.

That's my amateurish opinion. Not an expert.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 Incoming

Incoming

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:18 AM

I've never used any of them.
What are they for? Just clean editing pictures?

Shotwell seemingly has already been on Fedora :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,891 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

Reply to Incoming---I use Shotwell to import, view and delete pics from my digital camera's memory card.

#6 maladmin

maladmin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:50 PM

Shotwell (and f-spot) are photo libraries, primarily they provide an interface to you photo collection that lets you use meta-data (place shot, people, locations) etc. I remember after first discoving F-Spot wondering how I had managed without. Then realising I probably hadn't managed and had probably lost loads of pictures over the years.

I liked shotwell the interface was cleaner and it felt faster than F-spot however there were some lacking features. The killer missing feature from my point of view was easy integration with my Gallery2 online website. I think shotwell does support flicker and picasso but nothing for gallery so I'm back using F-Spot.

In short Shotwell is newer code but lacks some features of the more mature F-spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users