Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel i7 vs. Core 2 Quad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:22 AM

I have been thinking about upgrading my computer, but the one deciding factor right now is this: is there a noticeable performance boost between the i7 running at 2.89 GHz and the core 2 quad running at 2.89 GHz? I was thinking about upgrading to the i7 950 running at 3.02 GHz, but if there isn't much difference between the i7 and core 2 running the same speed then there is no point. I mostly ask because a guy at geek squad (if you can call them geeks) said their is a massive performance boost going to an i7. I'm doubting it but I've been wrong before.

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Yes, there is a noticeable difference between an i7 and a Core2 at the same speed, with a caveat.

If you game, or encode video, the difference stands out. You will definitely notice it assuming other parts of your system are not bottlenecking performance. For normal everyday apps, I can't tell the difference between junior's E2500 at 3.0 or my i920 at 3.5. Honestly, if I was considering a new build, I would hold off a couple months till the midrange Sandybridge CPUs/H67chipsets hit the market and have been benched.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:45 AM

You can't even use the i7 in the same socket anyway. You would have to change your motherboard which also means you have to re-buy Windows, unless you have a retail copy. At that point, you might as well just wait until your computer is obsolete and then buy a new one.

Edited by RainbowSix, 01 October 2010 - 11:45 AM.

[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:18 PM

Agreed, you would need to change motherboards which involves pretty much rebuilding the PC. There are differences between the architecture the i7 uses and that which the Core 2's use, mainly with Hyperthreading. However, not all games or applications respond to Hyperthreading very well, those that don't do still perform above Core 2 speeds (With the same clock and cores) but the difference isn't that large. Then, of course, comes the actual cores, not all games scale well with multiple cores, most prefer two with some using four. Many games today are better served with a high performance graphics card with a high-end, but not super high-end, CPU to feed it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users