Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google redirect virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Luniel

Luniel

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:08 AM

Hi!

I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my browser, and for about a week or so I've had links occationally redirecting me to /search.speedbit.com.

I'm using a Vista sp2, 32 -bit machine with Microsoft security Essentials and windows firewall. I'm also using Malwarebytes' AntiMalware regularly. Both machine and virus definations are updated.
I've scanned the machine with both, and I've also scanned it with Panda ActiveScan onlinescanner, but no viruses were found.

Firefox is using Google as its default search engine, so the redirection to the /search.speedbit.com is really puzzling me. Other search engines, like bing, are unaffected by it. I've checked that Google is still marked as the default engine, and found out odd thing going on in Firefox's about:config.

The keyword.URL keeps loosing its default setting ( http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&...p;gfns=1&q= )
and replaces it with ( http://search.speedbit.com/searchresults.asp?site=tb&q= ). When I reset the value and restart Firefox, the wrong value is back.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users