Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with start up

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:29 AM

Well i started off getting instructions with how to get rid of malware doctor which was successful i was then advised to update java and adobe reader to the latest version to upgrade my computers security however after my computer was restarted it was not able to boot properly as it cut off during the loading screen so i followed some instructions to stop my computer from restarting when it shuts down due to error so i could see the blue screen and write down the error message is it a hardware problem? was it all caused because i may have made a mistake while installing the recommended software?

please help :thumbsup:

Edited by Wind_Deity, 01 October 2010 - 07:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

do you see any bios or splash screen at all? if so please list it
Posted Image
Staples Easytech Associate
Staples Certified Onsite PC Technician
Computer Science Major, Stonybrook University

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#3 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

Sorry i made a mistake with the bit about it shutting down after a second the damn battery had ran out but yeah would you like to see the error message from the blue screen...OF DEATH! ?

and if it helps at all when attempting to start up on safe mode the last driver to load is crcdisk before the comp turns off

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup optons, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x856e6e10, 0xc0000006, 0x000000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by Wind_Deity, 01 October 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Did you do as the error message suggested and try to access the advance startup options?

If you can get to the advanced startup options try starting in Safe Mode. If you can start there run chkdsk c: /f.

Go to Start, click on Run, and type cmd in the box and then click OK.

A black page will open with a blinking cursor, type in the chkdsk c: /f then press the enter key.

If you can't start in Safe Mode, but can get to the advanced startup options try the last known good configuration.

If this doesn't work there are other options.

Edited by dc3, 01 October 2010 - 10:22 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:15 AM

I've tried both and neither have worked hmm do you know any other options? i'll have the installation CD later so hopefully that should fix it....right?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

If you have the installation disk do a repair installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:57 AM

i wouldnt do the repair installtion just yet, i would use the windows disk to access the recovery console (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/rconsole.htm) those directions are for xp, if you have another operating system please let me know. W
Posted Image

Society leans heavily on computers. If you have the power to take out computers, you have the power to take out society.

#8 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

I wouldn't do the repair installation just yet. First, try these steps:

Starting the Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM

To start the Recovery Console from your Windows XP CD-ROM, insert the CD into your system, reboot, and make sure that you're booting from the CD and not the hard drive.

On the first screen of the Windows XP setup, choose the "R" option to start the Recovery Console, as shown below in Figure E.

Figure E

Posted Image
The Windows XP setup screen, showing the Recovery Console option

Recovery using the Recovery Console

The Recovery Console asks you a couple of questions, the first of which is to identify the Windows installation you would like to manage. The Recovery Console is able to manage any Windows installation on your system, so you dual-booters (of Windows, anyway), are in luck.

Figure F

Posted Image

Provide the installation that you'd like to manage with the Recovery Console

To help prevent unauthorized use of the Recovery Console, you need to provide a valid Administrator password.

Figure G

Posted Image

Provide the Administrator password for the Windows installation you'd like to manage

Once the Recovery Console authenticates the credentials you provide, you're brought to a command prompt.

Figure H

Posted Image

After you reach this point, type the command "fixboot" without the quotes and let it run then restart and see if that fixes it, if not start the recovery console again and type "chkdsk /r" without the quotes and let that run. Please let me know what happens.

please ignore the first post, i sent it by accident
Posted Image

#9 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:27 PM

yeah i'm using vista :thumbsup: i know i know horrible but it's what i have :flowers:

#10 Johnny Boy

Johnny Boy

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

stupid me, i should have asked first, well you can try this..tap f8 on boot, is there an option called "repair your computer?"
Posted Image

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

yeah i'm using vista :thumbsup: i know i know horrible but it's what i have :flowers:

Windows Vista isn't really that bad of operating system, it had its issues in the beginning, but the patches and updates that have been released for it has brought it a long way from what it was originally.

If it is all you have, then that's good enough for us, some people are still using Windows 95 and thats good enough for them and us. :trumpet:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

no there is no repair system closest to that is last known good configuration which also fails i'm trying to install vista again but i can't do it either gawd this is frustrating i can't repair vista from the cd either it says i'm unable to and none of the options seems to work :thumbsup:

The F8 options i get are:

Safe mode
Safe mode with networking
Safe mode with command prompt

Enable boot logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last know good configuration (advanced)
Directory services system restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable driver signature enforcement

Start windows normally

Edited by Wind_Deity, 01 October 2010 - 05:00 PM.

#13 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

also after the first start up fails and i don't turn if off again myself and the cd isn't in i get the messages
PXE-E61: media test failure, check cable
PXE M0F: exiting broadcam PXE ROM

also i read up on the repair disc that i have and it can't be used to reinstall vista so that idea is out of the window :thumbsup: btw about the whole x64 and x86? maybe i have the wrong one? argh too much stuff @_@

Edited by Wind_Deity, 01 October 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

The correct commands for Windows Vista and Windows 7 are as follows.

NOTICE: Windows XP does not require the BOOTREC like Vista and Windows 7 does, so you can not use Windows XP as a reference for Vista and Windows 7 command prompt repairs.

1. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER.

2. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.

3. Type BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD, and then press ENTER.

If you have Vista/7 DVD...

start with step 2

If you don't have Vista/7 DVD...

1. Create Vista/7 Recovery Disc.

Option 1 :
Vista: http://www.c4consulting.com.au/soluctions/...0SOLUCTIONS.htm
Windows 7: http://www.guidingtech.com/3816/system-rep...disc-windows-7/

Option 2:
Download Vista Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/
Download Windows 7 Recovery Disc iso image: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/
Burn it to CD, or DVD: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/G/Burning...+to+a+CD+or+DVD

2. Boot from created disk.
At first screen click on Repair your computer:
Posted Image
This will bring you to a new screen where the repair process will look for all Windows Vista installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box:
Posted Image
After this, it will present you with a list of options including startup repair, system restore and command prompt:
Posted Image
Select Command Prompt

Type in:
bootrec /FixMbr (<--- there is a "space" after "bootrec")
and then press Enter

Once completed then type Exit, press Enter and restart computer.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 01 October 2010 - 05:37 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#15 Wind_Deity

Wind_Deity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:25 PM

I already have the repair cd and i do get the screen but when it comes to system recovery options there is nothing to select :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users