Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Net connection dying

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TaraToronto

TaraToronto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hello everyone, my net connection is dying after a few minutes. If I unplug/replug the modem and the router and the PC , it will be connected again for a few minutes before stoping again. Then unless I cycle agian it just isn't there. Going under Network Connections and click 'fix this connection' doesn't fix it or says 'cannot renew'. There is another PC , the secondary PC on the LAN, that connects fine with the exception that after a while it will say 'no longer connected' with a 'work offline' and 'try again' button. Clicking 'try again', it connects just fine.

The problems started around the time a updated my Adobe Flash, video and websites seemed to start slowing down right after. Maybe it was just the timing of it...but I did complete uninstalls/reinstalls of Adobe, Flash and Shockwave and it didn't make a difference....Is it normal to get an unsolicited 'adobe update' window poping up on your screen on start up without yet going online? I didn't activley do the update, it just came to me and thought, ok sure.

So I looked extensivley for Malware and found none useing Super-Anti-Spyware, MG tools, Combo-Fix to scan.(learned from a previous malware run in)
So it looked like a fake adobe malware thing but maybe that's normally how Adobe update's present themselves?, you tell me. Maybe it has nothing to do with the Adobe Update.

What I've done so far:

I googled around for other threads about this around the web and found this thing where you "Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults" and "Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults" useing a bunch of CMD prompt commands. It didn't fix the problem.

I also un-installed Avast incase that was partly to blame and didn't make a difference.

If it helps, it's either 'unable to connect to server' or loads VERY slow before dying. Like it will load a few elements over the course of 5 minutes and then just sort of stall. That's usually after I cycle the modem. After that point it's not connecting. But it shows it's able to make some sort of connection at first.

Any ideas? Included a network settings log. Any ohter scans I should make?

DSL modem
wired D-link 704up router
winows XP sp3

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 01 October 2010 - 08:12 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Networking per user request ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TaraToronto

TaraToronto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

Oh...I didn't scroll down the forum topics list far enough to see the networking forum. If a moderator see's this could you please move this thread. Sorry...I'm new.

Tara

Edited by TaraToronto, 01 October 2010 - 04:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users