Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

several iexplorer running process

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ritchiedfw

ritchiedfw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

Im running windows xp home edition. I seem to have lot of extra process running in task manager. I need help ridding my machine of these.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

A screenshot of Task Manager might be more useful than the link you posted, IMO.

FWIW: IE open normally reflects at least two instances in Task Manager. For every additional window that is opened, there will appear another instance of IE in Task Manager. If I have 5 windows open in IE...I should see 6 instances of IE running in Task Manager as long as those windows are open.

Louis

#3 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

This is the new model of Internet Explorer tasks since IE7. It used to be there would only be one task that appeared in task manager. Ending this task would close all the IE windows you had open. The new model allows you to just close the one window that is causing issues or "Not responding" without needing to close every single Internet Explorer window you have open... in theory. :thumbsup:

#4 ritchiedfw

ritchiedfw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:58 PM

A screenshot of Task Manager might be more useful than the link you posted, IMO.

FWIW: IE open normally reflects at least two instances in Task Manager. For every additional window that is opened, there will appear another instance of IE in Task Manager. If I have 5 windows open in IE...I should see 6 instances of IE running in Task Manager as long as those windows are open.

Louis

I went back and checked task manager list of running processes. I had one internet explorer open but showed in task manager two instances of iexplorer and one explorer. I have seven instances of svchost.exe running. Should I be concerned about this? How can I take a snap shot of running processes in task manager. I tried to highlight and copy or print but didn't work.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,124 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Seven instances of svchost.exe is not unusual, depends on what's installed and scanning/updating constantly (IMO). I reflect 7 on this system.

We might as well get this right...iexplore.exe is the Windows process...iexplorer.exe is malware. Spelling counts somewhat when trying to figure out what's going on with a system.

I guess I have to ask...what triggered all this concern with Task Manager processes?

I'm sure that this interest developed for a reason...do you mind sharing that with us?

Louis

#6 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:53 PM

Also, the explorer.exe task is your desktop and taskbar. It also is the component of the system that lets you do things like browse My Computer.

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

If you're running IE8, it'll open two iexplore.exe processes from the get go.
Every new tab will create another iexplore.exe process.
If those processes are gone, when you close IE, you're fine.
If they're still there, you're infected with a bootkit.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#8 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:25 PM

Or the task just didn't close cleanly due to a problem in IE.... ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users