Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! My PC is so SLOW!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lead318

lead318

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:15 AM

Hi! I'm new here so please bear with me.. and I really really need your help..
My PC is super duper SLOW.. like, if I want to open a site, especially google docs, it takes forever and I can't even scroll down the pages without it lagging. As well as other sites and programs. I can't even have a decent conversation using Skype. I'm really not sure where the problem lies, but here are my PC's specs;

Windows XP Professional SP3
Asus P5PE - VM mobo
Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz Dual Core
80GB DDR
1GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 128MB

Is there something wrong with my CPU? Do I need to change anything?
My PC is my JOB, everything about my job depends on it that's why I need it to function in it's full capacity and performance.
The reason I posted it here in System Building and Upgrading is, if it's no good anymore I'm planning on building a new PC with these specs;

Windows XP
Asus P5KPL or PQ5 P45 mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 or Q9400
2GB DDR2 Memory
500GB SATA Barracuda
GeForce GF210 or GF9400

But if my wxisting PC can still be salvaged, it'll be a lot of help and savings for me.
Please, please, please! I need your help. thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:34 AM

Do you defragment your computer? Cleanup? Ccleaner? More info please.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 lead318

lead318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:13 AM

oh.. sorry.. yes I've done disk cleanUp, defrag, temporary files cleanUp.. at this moment I only have 35% free RAM when the only open programs I have are skype and google docs.. and it's very very slow..

Edited by lead318, 01 October 2010 - 07:13 AM.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:44 PM

You will be rebuilding the PC from scratch. I'm sure you've already checked background processes, run anti-virus scans, and kept the number of applications running to a minimum. Your build probably would get you by for a year or so, but you will still need to buy higher-end components if you don't want to upgrade again in a year. I'm assuming you can keep your case, optical drives, and power supply (Which should be 500W or better).

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870A-UD3 AM3 AMD 870 - This will last a while and can take all of AMD's current CPU's. It also comes with USB 3.0 and SATA 6. It will not take the new AM3+ CPU's, and Intel's upcoming CPU's are also not backwards compatible with anything on the market now. It also takes DDR3 and allows for CrossfireX. This motherboard takes SATA drives and allows for only two standard IDE (PATA) devices to be installed. $98

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz - This is a higher-end quad-core CPU than what you've put into your build. If you want to save some money, you can get the AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz which uses a slightly less powerful architecture. $152

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 - This is a single 4GB stick of DDR3-1333 memory. You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM, otherwise, you are limited to about 3 to 3.5GB of usable RAM. $79

Hard Drive: Western Digital AV-GP WD5000AVDS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA 3 - Plenty of space. $54

Graphics Card: BIOSTAR VA5573NHG1 Radeon HD 5570 1GB - A good low-end GPU that can handle everything you do. It is more powerful than the cards you have listed. It requires a 400W or better power supply. $74

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need a 64-bit OS to run 4GB or more of memory. Also, you cannot simply reuse the copy of Windows XP you have due to licensing restrictions. Technically, you can install it again, but you would be violating the license. Besides, XP is a dinosaur whose support will run out in 2014. $99

Grand Total: $561

3939.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

I had a customer on Thursday with a system that was sluggish/slow. Sure enough it would crawl.

It was an HP, BTX chassis, and I just happened to look through the side cover (it had holes punched for an optional fan) and noticed a CPU heatsink crammed full of dust, really packed in. I pulled it apart and cleaned it, problem fixed. The owner was really good about cleaning the outside of the case. It was so clean it threw me. I told her to shut the system off completely when she sweeps/dusts in that room with the PC.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

I had a customer on Thursday with a system that was sluggish/slow. Sure enough it would crawl.

It was an HP, BTX chassis, and I just happened to look through the side cover (it had holes punched for an optional fan) and noticed a CPU heatsink crammed full of dust, really packed in. I pulled it apart and cleaned it, problem fixed. The owner was really good about cleaning the outside of the case. It was so clean it threw me. I told her to shut the system off completely when she sweeps/dusts in that room with the PC.

Sweet, nice work!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users