Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Man Might Be Ridden Of Hiv

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-...e.jsp?id=832514

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,...5001021,00.html

Patient cures himself of HIV
By SUE DUNLEVY and agencies
November 14, 2005

A BRITISH man is believed to have become the first person in the world to beat HIV.

Andrew Stimpson, 25, was diagnosed as HIV positive in August, 2002. However, tests 14 months later showed the virus had completely gone from his body, despite taking no medication to combat it.

His doctors are adamant there were no mix-ups with his tests and the sandwich maker will now offer his body for medical research to help doctors in their quest to find a cure for HIV, which causes AIDS.

This will be great if they can find a cure from this.

Edited by yano, 14 November 2005 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:34 PM

[pessimist mode]
Just you wait, it'll be somekind of genetic mutation that enables the white blood corpuscles to kill the virus. Which in turn means there won't be any way short of complete genetic reconstruction to use it on other people.
[/pessimist mode]
We can always hope for something more useful though.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

Yes that could be possible, but who knows if they can replicate the immunity used by his system, then who knows what is possible?

Also, there was discussion on another forum about this, that if they do make a cure from this, they probably would not release it to the public, but the government(s) might keep it for themselves.

#4 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:53 PM

If they do... IF is the key word here... I'll hire me some hackers to get into their databases and steal the information needed.

Eh... probably won't happen. I just hope they, at least, find a cure

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#5 DemonicTurtles

DemonicTurtles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

Well, it would be great if HIV is cured... Although, they don't know why that guy beat HIV, at least they now know it is possible...

It would be bad if the doctors did mix up the tests... But they seem pretty sure...
Posted Image
Nobody is perfect. I am a nobody. Therefore I am perfect.

"My mouth needs to stop laughing before I can talk."

--Someone from school

#6 BanditFlyer

BanditFlyer

• Members
  • 283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 02:29 PM

I remember seeing something on PBS or the Discovery Channel saying that at least 10% of Caucasian Europeans are immune to AIDS. A gene that allowed their predecesors to survive Bubonic Plague is present in them that also gives them an immunity to AIDS.

I haven't read the article(sorry), but I'm guessing he was only diagnosed with HIV, not AIDS - the weakening of the immune system that results from HIV. He was probably one of the 10% who was immune to it. He got it - for a while - then his body faught it off. No magic here as far as I can see. Sorry again for mouthing off without first raeading the article. Feel free to flame away :thumbsup:

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:22 PM

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/vie...16-015251-1581r

Miracle HIV patient didn't have virus

LONDON, Nov. 16 (UPI) -- The British clinic that initially told a man his body had rid itself of HIV now says the man did not have the virus in the first place.

"It is probably there was never any evidence of him having the HIV virus," the Chelsea and Westminster NHS Trust admitted. "We don't know exactly what happened.

The clinic initially told Andrew Stimpson, 25, of London, he had contracted the virus that causes AIDS and later told him that by some miracle, his body had rid itself of the disease.

Stimpson said Wednesday he had lost "all confidence" in the clinic, the Mirror reported.

Looks like he may not have had HIV, or who knows maybe this is the start of the cover up? :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users