Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Can I Do About Email Spam And Viruses In Email

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kourvoisier

kourvoisier

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:48 PM

I continue to get tons of spam and viruses along with it here at my work place.

I am network admin so its my responsibility to rid the company of this nuissance.

I even think when we send emails people are getting attachments of viruses.

really bad situation going on here. Can anyone help me!

or lead me in the right direction

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:02 PM

Hi kourvoisier,

We use an enterprise edition of Sophos anti-virus. It inspects things as they cross our firewall an proceed to email accounts and computer downloaded items. Check to see what they have to offer. There may be other similar packages out there as well. Get a good firewall, a good antivirus package, and a good anti-spyware package. These can probably be found in an all in one suite.

One word about the free stuff on the web... If you look under the licence terms, you will find most of the free products are not allow to be used by businesses. Still, most do have versions that can be purchased via site licensing and multiseat licensing. Check the legal stuff.

I would look at Sophos - Ewido - and maybe Symantec

I hope this helps out...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 kourvoisier

kourvoisier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response Rigel...

I will look into those vendors

I plan on purchasing Grisoft AVG as i am most comfortable with this software and was satified in its features.
What is a good firewall to use?
dont think AVG has one.
what would u recommend for a small to medium size company

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 04:57 PM

Spam is seperate from malware and viruses.

What email client are you using?

You need to formulate message rules to eliminate spam - or - there are several programs that will do it for you.

Rules and tools to filter junk mail in Microsoft Outlook
How to use rules to filter all junk mail or spam from Microsoft Outlook
http://www.slipstick.com/rules/junkmail.htm

What you need to be careful about is if you make the rules too tight you will loose some legitimate email.

As far as a firewall, it depends on how high you want the security level and how many networked computers are serviced by your server (if you have one).

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 November 2005 - 05:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users