Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Risks Of Wireless?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:31 PM

My father, who has gotten a new laptop, was wondering about the security risks of having a wireless modem (his words) on it. He was using it in a cafe when it notified him that it had found a wireless network, which has gotten him kinda spooked. He isn't using the wireless capabilities of the laptop; all networking is done through cables. So he asked me what the security risks were, and if it is possible to hack the machine trough it. Me, never having had anything to do with wireless networking, thought I should ask the experts before giving any recommendations.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:35 PM

One of the major security risks of using wireless is that unless you have an encrypted connection everything you send to and from your computer is sent in plain text. Which means if you send your password: cat568 across the wireless network, someone with a program called "Etheral" can pick it up exactly as "cat568." However if it were encrypted it would appear a little more random.

Another security risk is that someone can send packets to your comptuer than can do damage. Like packets that would seek out data on the network, or to find information that is on the computer and send it to the remote computer. I would strongly advise anyone using a wireless card to use a very effective firewall.

Also another problem with wireless (not really a security issue) is that when you have multiple machines connect to one spot you all are sharing bandwidth, even it were not connected to the internet.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 15 November 2005 - 08:01 AM

A couple of good resources for wireless security:

WPA Wireless Security for Home Networks

Intel's Wireless Security Network Resource Center

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users