Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Space disappeared?!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tomie

Tomie

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:49 PM

Hallo,

I got the BSOD a few months ago and had to completely reformat my laptop. I decided to set up a partition so I wouldn't lose all my files etc but now I seem to have lost 50gb of HDD space. Any ideas on how I can get it back?

I'm one of those people who hates having to pay someone else to do something that I could possibly do myself =] So any help/tuts would be HUGELY appreciated!!

Tomie

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

I'm guessing from what you wrote that you made two partitions, one for the operating system, and one for files and non-Windows applications?

What is the size of the hdd?

What are the sizes of the two partitions?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:06 PM

The original size of the hard drive is 160gb, I've now got 110gb. When I reformatted it gave me the option to create a partition with for existing files etc, so I did - for 50gb. And now I can't get it back!!

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

OK... so you didn't really lose the 50GB of hdd space, it is now a separate partition.

Is the operating system on the 50GB partition?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:04 AM

The OS is on the 110gb, but I can't see the 50gb partition. Laptops only reads the HDD as 110gb. I managed to recover the files but the not the actual space.

Posted Image

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

You should be able to see the second partition in Disk Management.

Go to start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk Management.

You can delete the second partition in the Disk Management if the partition is empty.

You can find instruction for the here.

When you look in Disk Management make a note of the designation of the partition. Ex: C: should be the partition which your operating system is installed on. When you go to delete the partition using the instructions substitute the letter for the partition that you want to delete for "n".

#7 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hey, I've checked the disk management.
Virtual Drives, SD Card and Mini SD card are all there.
Screenshot Posted Image

Can't see the partition anywhere :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#8 jilbert

jilbert

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Where it lists the partitions on the lower half of the screen, grab the scroll bar and go down a page, your 50GB may be down at the end, without a drive letter assigned to it?

#9 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

Checked that, it's not there. Are there any programs that might be able to find it?

Posted Image

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:37 PM

There is a program called Gparted.

This program HAS to be burned to a disk such as a CD-R disk and the burning software HAS to be able to convert ISO images to a FULL disk.

If you are NOT familiar with how to burn an ISO image successfully to a disk, please let me know this, I can give you either instructions on how to use your present burning software, or offer you a FREE burning program that converts ISO images and burns them to a disk.

The Gparted download you will be downloading at the link below is an ISO image, which means unless you convert it, the program can not be ran as is.

Once you have Gparted burned to a CD-R disk, you boot from it, NOT the hard drive.

It will allow you to see all your hard drives and the partitions that are on them, you can delete the partition to which there is NO NTFS FILE SYSTEM, this would be the partition you are trying to gain access to and make it available to your current C: partition.

Gparted: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/

Any questions or concerns please ask. :thumbsup:

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:05 PM

Thank you MrBruce. I'm not too familiar with converting ISO, and I don't have any burning software - never had the need lol

Posted Image

#12 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:43 PM

Thank you MrBruce. I'm not too familiar with converting ISO, and I don't have any burning software - never had the need lol

Your welcome.

Do you have a drive that is capable of burning disks?

If not then you can have someone who has a drive capable of burning disks, burn the disk for you.

If you do have a disk drive that can burn disks, I can offer you programs that are FREE and virus/malware free that will do this for you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 04:44 PM.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#13 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

I do have a drive capable of doing so, I think I had Sonic DLA with the laptop originally but I never used it. Any software would be much appreciated =]

Posted Image

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Here is two links both to FREE disk burning programs.

Both are good programs. However, during installation, one or the other program offers to install the ASK.com tool bar, I think of those as extra browser features that are NOT needed, so all you have to do is un-check the box next to install the ASK tool bar and it will not be installed.

Other than that, the programs are safe and virus/malware free.

CDburnerXP http://cdburnerxp.se/

ImgBurn http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 October 2010 - 06:51 PM.

#15 Tomie

Tomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:07 PM

No empty discs at the mo, but thank you so much for your help! Fingers crossed this will work :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users