Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Memory 2gb to 4gb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 GrymReaper

GrymReaper

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi All,

I did a search for this already on this site and others, but to no avail, I cannot figure this out.

Problem:
PC will not start up or POST when adding new memory but when replacing the memory with the old RAM, boots just fine

Details:
Old RAM total of 2GB: G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
New RAM total of 4GB: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ

Computer Hardware and O/S
Motherboard: ASUS P5K-e
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi)
CASE: Antec 900
WinXP(32bit)

As you can see the RAM is exactly the same speed and board can support up to 1066, but just wanted to replace the RAM with the same speed etc. They are in the correct slots etc so I am just totally clueless. So before I return the RAM and try 2 (2 x 1GBs) I thought I would try here.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

P.S. Does anyone know a solution to getting 8GB on a 32 bit O/S? Or is the only option to either upgrade to 64bit or go Win 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:10 PM

the only way to get your computer to recognize more then about 3.5 gig of ram is to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system. Be warned, windows 7 also comes in 32 bit, so if you upgrade keep an eye on that. As for your memory, I would boot up with the old memory and check the voltage in the BIOS. they both should be the same-between 1.8-1.9v according to the manufacturers spec-but good to double check. I would then check the new ones by putting them in one at a time, and seeing if its just a defective module. If they still dont work, I would recomend RMAing them.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:15 PM

Here's the reason why a 32-bit operating system can't see 4GB of RAM.

A 32-bit operating system has an Address Space of 4GB. This space is not only used for the RAM, but for other critical functions such as the system BIOS, motherboard resources, memory mapped I/O, AGP, PCI, PCI-E, and other memory allocations for PCI devices use this space as well.

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. This means that the more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses, like RAM. Typically a 32-bit operating system will recognize between 3.3GB and 3.5GB of total RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

Like the_patriot09 suggested, please insert the RAM modules one by one, to rule out the defective one.

Spec wise, both kits are exactly the same (timing & volt), save the bump in memory capacity.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users